How to: T45 transmission speedo gear swap

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
I recently had 4.10's installed. So, obviously, the speedometer is off. The stock speedo gear in my 98 GT is an 18 tooth gear designed for 2.73's. I purchased a 23 tooth speedo gear when I got my 4.10's.
NOTE: As always, use caution when working on your car. This board cannot be held responsible for any harm you cause or is caused to you by following this write-up.

Tools needed:

New speedo gear (whichever suits your situation)
Jack
Jack stands
12mm socket
Ratchet (of course)
Long extension (this made things much easier)
Regular (straight edge) screwdriver

Located on the driver's side of the transmission, on the tailshaft is the bolt that we're looking for.
It's a 12mm and there's only 1. Get that out and then unclip the harness that is attached.

PICT2818.jpg

Once the bolt and harness are removed you can get the plug holding the speedo gear out. Just pull straight down. You may have to turn it slightly and then pull it out just to loosen it.
(I don't know why the color was so crappy in this pic. Oh well, you get the idea.)
PICT2822.jpg

Here's what the speedo gear will look like once it's out:

PICT2823.jpg

Next to the new speedo gear:

PICT2824.jpg

There is a c-clip holding the speed gear onto the plug. This is where your regular (straight edged) screwdriver comes into play. Use it to carefully pry it off.

PICT2825.jpg

Installion, obviously, is reverse of removal. Make sure to use the c-clip you just took out to hold the new speedo gear onto the plug.

After installing, my speedo is actually ALOT closer than I thought it would be. It's within 5mph.

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
why did you choose to change the speedo gear instead of using a Speed Cal?

SRT Handz

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
So if you have gears and want the speedo corrected do you have to get a speedcal & the Trans Gear or One or the other?

vermilion

Legend
Reaction score
upr has them or blue oval industries has them on ebay. i advise the white gear oppsed the red one. material issues.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
im just gonna add that if you get an x-cal and you expect to change your pinion factor (for gears say a 3.27 to 373's) you will be SOL the x/cal only works for 99+ cars ie electronic pick up.. kinda an ovbious thing but just incase someone was wondering ...

OP
OP
A

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
duff daddy said:
im just gonna add that if you get an x-cal and you expect to change your pinion factor (for gears say a 3.27 to 373's) you will be SOL the x/cal only works for 99+ cars ie electronic pick up.. kinda an ovbious thing but just incase someone was wondering ...

No, actually you can get a speed cal from Dallas Mustang that works on our cars.

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
yea i know and thats why i said if you have an SCT scanner and try to adjust pinion factor with the sct then your sol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online

No members online now.