Replaced speedo gear; still no speedo/odo-SOLVED!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
According to the calculator on LMR, with my T-5 manual transmission, 3.55 rear gears, 315/40x17 rear tires/wheels… a white 21-tooth speedo gear is needed. Got it, installed it… still no speedo/odo.

Could it be the driven gear? Again, the LMR calculator defaults to a 6-tooth (yellow) when I put the other information in first. Does this require dropping and draining the trans/tail shaft?

Because if the issue with neither my speedometer or odometer not working isn’t the driven and speedo gears in the trans, and I’ve already had the gauge cluster gone through/repaired where needed/calibrated, then it’s the wiring between the gauge cluster and the trans that’s faulty. Is there a wiring harness replacement? Or does this mean a trip to the stealership?

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Disgruntled Daryl

Last edited:

07GtS197

Reaction score
Does your cruise control work? It could be the vss. I doubt it’s the gear, there’s a possibility but I’ve never seen one fail.

joemomma

Reaction score
You can get a replacement VSS (Rock Auto has them). I replaced mine when I was putting the new speedo gear in. It is unlikely that the gear on the trans shaft is bad. But yes, you have to drop the trans to replace that one. That's on my list of things to attempt once I get moved in to the new house.

badass98svt

Reaction score
Yeah, my first guess would be VSS before a speedo gear anyway if your speedo wasn't working.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What’s “VSS”?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just learned that today from the mechanic, too! But thank you!
I decided to have a (very) credible mechanic look into the wiring issue. I’m DONE chasing my tail on this and I feel that I’ve exhausted all other options that I (mechanically and personally) can handle. This other stuff is way out of my wheelhouse!

So, he wants to check codes, see why the ABS light came on and is staying on (check ABS sensor and see if it’s messing with the speedo/odo/ no cruise control issue. He’s going to trace wires if it comes to it. Basically, whatever it takes to remedy this problem. I take it in Monday 4/11 right after my 7:00am physical therapy. UBER home, sit and wait for his call.
Please let this be the end of this f’g issue!!! So I can move on to the next chapter…

joemomma

Reaction score
There may be a link between cruise and ABS - seems like I had a car (Lincoln) a few years ago that the cruise wouldn't work with the ABS light on.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There may be a link between cruise and ABS - seems like I had a car (Lincoln) a few years ago that the cruise wouldn't work with the ABS light on.
Joemomma,
Always a possibility, but in this case the ABS light came on AFTER none of the 3 were working (Speedo, odo, cruise control).

07GtS197

Reaction score
Certain models (Lincoln Ls comes to mind) I believe use the abs sensors for the speedometer. In Daryl’s case, imo they aren’t related. I think it’s the vss. Good point though.

joemomma

Reaction score
Certain models (Lincoln Ls comes to mind) I believe use the abs sensors for the speedometer. In Daryl’s case, imo they aren’t related. I think it’s the vss. Good point though.
Ha! In fact it was an LS. I think you're right though, these cars aren't that sophisticated.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RESULT!!! All 3 (speedometer, odometer and cruise control) now work! A few things were involved on initial inspection and code reading, but the primary fault was a pinched wire against the bell housing (or a bracket nearby). Found a local ASE Master Certified Mecahnic who still has and remembers how to use has the old OBD-1 “switchboard operator looking” contraption. He used it to chase wires and found a couple. Primary of which was whatever one sends feedback to the speedometer, etc. In any case, all 3 are remedied.

He also found a chip inserted in the main computer, which we decided to leave in since the car is tuned to that in lieu of removing it and hopi the car defaults to stock Ford assembly line settings. The car ran fine on the way home from the shop and still gets it EASILY in 1st & 2nd. ;-)

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Speedometer is about 4mph fast, but I have a 7-tooth and matching 20-tooth gears coming from LMR to fix that.

joemomma

Reaction score
Are you going to tackle the transmission gear yourself?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can’t. I’m recovering from rotator cuff surgery + I have no way of adequately and safely raise the car up to get underneath to do all that’s necessary.
I do have a nearby transmission shop that did my rear gear set. I’m sure they can tackle it pretty easily.

joemomma

Reaction score
Oh right on. Forgot you had that done. I was thinking about getting some "high lift" jack stands to get my big butt under the car and try it myself, but I don't know if I want to mess with it or not. I don't know if there are any good transmission shops around here, I've never had any work done. I can ask around with some of my car guys. Honestly it probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and have it rebuilt at the same time. It's not the smoothest T5 I've ever felt and with 158k miles on it, I'm sure it's due.

Segi62

Reaction score
Glad for this thread thanks for posting. I too have issues with no working odometer. and intermittent working speedo and will be looking at any pinched wires now. My speedo only works when it wants to and I have replaced the cluster gears and still no go. Weird thing too is that when the speedo does randomly work, there is a slight surge in power as if the AIC goes out when the speedo doesn't work. Wondering what the correlation is? I have a used VSS from my old 94 GT coupe I can try?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Addendum: Forehead Smacker!…

FWIW, the damaged wires that were the culprits have been laying in the bottom of the ash tray underneath a bunch of change. So, if it helps anyone, here’s a picture of the 2 wires:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010