HOW TO: Tint your Tailights with VHT

OP
OP

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
JDwhite98gt said:
I wouldnt do your tails, the redness of the tails make a great offset to your paint.
I would really like to know,
1. What grit to wetsand with after I clear
2. I dont have a machine buffer, so can I buff them and get a decent gloss by hand?
3. If the answer to #2 is Yes, what kind of compound do I use to buff with?

I've tinted an old set before and have since went back to stock becasue with 3 coats it was way too dark on the white car and the dull finish made me feel like I was a sixteen year old punk driving a busted Honda with tinted tails thinking I was cool, Fast and furious YO. If I could get just a smoky red color and a glossy finish I would rock 'em.
You can, If you look through my pics, after wetsanding (prep) then doing a few LIGHT coats, it gives a really smoked look, but still is glossy. Once you get to black is when it starts to dull out.

However to buff, i would wetsand with as fine a grit as you have (guesstimate 1000+grit im talking smoooooooth), just enough to barely scratch, then use a plastic buff compund.

If you look over on (i think) svtp.com or corral someone has a how-to with the specific compound and grit, or just use the search function here and there is a thread with some of us talking about it.

Ill look for it and post it up if i find it.

beuchaw94gt

Reaction score
I'm bout to do my tails in a few days but i have the 94-95 tails and don't really feel like messing with all the tape. My bezels are black if i just paint the whole thing with out taping will in make a difference?

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Drivesfords - I think it would look great on your car.

Reaction score
beuchaw94gt said:
I'm bout to do my tails in a few days but i have the 94-95 tails and don't really feel like messing with all the tape. My bezels are black if i just paint the whole thing with out taping will in make a difference?

I was wondering this too LOL. Taping all the horizontal lines sounds like a total PITA. However, to my amazement, you can get 94-95 tail lights without the bezels painted. See: 1995 Mustang tail lights. I wonder how wierd it would look to tint the whole lense and not paint the bezel?

beuchaw94gt

Reaction score
Just did mine!!
003.jpg

004.jpg

98Viperblue

Reaction score
I hate how dull yours guy's came out.
I did my old cobra and my friend's accord.
Notice the shine! :headbang:

Step 1- Scuff/sand with 1500 grit, then 2000 grit
Step 2- Clean surface
Step 3- Spray VHT to desired coats
Step 4- Let dry completely
Step 5- WET sand with 2000 Grit
Step 6- Clean lenses
Step 7- spray 3-4 Coats of Clear

This process involves no buffing.
Results
simg.jpg

tinty.jpg

IMG_2005.jpg

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Nice work Mikes! that does look good.
What clear did you use?

I tried this on a third brake light for my truck. turned out like crap. didn't use it.

forcefedhatch

Reaction score
well guys i vht'd my lights i went a tad bit dark then i wetsanded with a 2k grit sandpaper NO CLEAR buffed with mothers.. then with meguires ultimate compound.. they have been like this for almost 2 years now repainted the trim for the cars color change figured id post a pic of how they still are.. not faded and look as good as the day i did it..
IMG_20110313_1542381.jpg

1303175449.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EdgarR213

Members online