how to use the metra 95-5703b kit to install a double din radio

Overboost

Reaction score
this will be a pleasant surprise, I was holding off on doing anything audio related until I could pull more panels out to route wiring, if there is a set already there, I have no issues replacing it.
is there 2 harness connectors in the door or is there a separate harness in the dash?
I have extensive skill in making a custom radio harness but it does prove time consuming double checking wiring and soldering and shrinking connections.
I was just trying to avoid the running of wiring around the car and trying to keep a nice factory look as much as I can.
I am hesitant to put a style bar in because of the cutting and drilling but the look offsets the value depreciation for me because by the time this car is worth any real money, it will not be mine any longer. I tend to keep cars 5 years or less.

if your replacing the deck and the speakers its easy to bypass all the mach crap. There is no need to rewire as there is a set of speaker wires that goes from the dash to each speaker location that you can use.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what year is your car? There is a harness in the dash somewhere behind the radio(I know where it is on 94-96/7 I think it is but never looked on the newer models) that went from the stock amp up front to the tweeters. All you need to do is find that harness and use it for your speaker out from your deck. Now when you replace the speakers just use the speaker wires that go to the tweeters as your signal for your 5 x 7s. In the doors you need to run a short wire but its easier then running wire into the door and for the rears the wire is right next to it.

RobertEvisp

Reaction score
@ttocs are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car.
I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Kenwood DNX995S. Found this site about the best
double din HUs
and got me more on the fence. How complicated is this unit?
I'm no spring chicken. Also how small are those buttons I have big hands?

Any tips are welcomed.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
@ttocs are you happy with your Kenwood? Would you recommend it?

Sorry for being off topic. I'm looking for a good reliable head unit for my car.
I've been looking at reviews and they are all hype. So I'm kinda undecided.

I've been looking at the Kenwood DNX995S. Found this site about the best
double din HUs
and got me more on the fence. How complicated is this unit?
I'm no spring chicken. Also how small are those buttons I have big hands?

Any tips are welcomed.
so far the little bit I have used it I have been happy. I have not had much time with it or the car in general the past 2 months because of my usual stomach crap. It was between alpine/kenwood for me and I really just decided on the kenwood as I have had alpine the past few decks I have got.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Only complaint here is that the kit is perfectly straight on the top, where the stock kit had a slight curve to it so there is a small gap at the top center, but its not horrible.
48154263787_cef8e466e4_b.jpg

So I finally got one of these for my 94 and am a little bothered by how the AC panel lines up. With the 2001+ panels, they were misaligned, but never that bad. Comparing mine with yours, yours seems perfectly aligned with that panel. I don’t understand why mine would differ so much.

I needed the radio brackets, but seeing how badly the metra looks, along with my poor attempt at adding my buttons, I wonder if I could just go back with a 2001, especially since that year has side adjusters for the vents like the 94-00s had.

Attachments

• 37E1668C-2278-4539-B6A5-BC0A0CCDE6D9.jpeg
    37E1668C-2278-4539-B6A5-BC0A0CCDE6D9.jpeg
    339.5 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
that is weird. You might be able to make slots out of the mounting holes to allow you to slide it down the little bit it needs

Justin51986

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but I hope you see this.

How much of a pain was it to wire up the double din unit? I just bought all the stuff to convert mine and the wiring scares me. I've never done any car audio before, and I have to decipher what is what because someone previously installed an aftermarket single din in my 95 and it looks like a mess.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I see you're local to me. Do u ever have the car at any events? I'd love to check it out sometime..
unfortunately it has been years since I hit a show with it. It seems to be a perpetually up in the air especially this year as I have been trying to start a small home biz. If you are in the area and need help let me know.

Justin51986

Reaction score
unfortunately it has been years since I hit a show with it. It seems to be a perpetually up in the air especially this year as I have been trying to start a small home biz. If you are in the area and need help let me know.
thanks man! My mustang club puts on a show every year in Mt.Vernon. We would love to have you! September 10th

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey @ttocs do you have measurements of the deck you used for this install? I’m guessing based on the depth of the unit, it’s not cd capable. Do they have a unit like yours that is? I’m thinking about doing this but want to plan my head unit out before getting the bezel.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Hey @ttocs do you have measurements of the deck you used for this install? I’m guessing based on the depth of the unit, it’s not cd capable. Do they have a unit like yours that is? I’m thinking about doing this but want to plan my head unit out before getting the bezel.
no this didn't have a cd player in it and sometimes I wish I did have it but most of the time I am fine with out. There is plenty of depth for a double din cd capable deck as there is a single din cd deck.

about 3 years ago I realized I was wasting money on streaming music services as I never listened to any new music, or rarely at least. I started going by my local library and it takes me about 5 mins to pic out 10-15 cds that I then take home and rip. After going through my local library I got an account in the county next to me as there is a library there that is next to a place I go regularly. I think I have now ripped ove 300 cd's and I am just amazed they can all fit on my phone just fine.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
no this didn't have a cd player in it and sometimes I wish I did have it but most of the time I am fine with out. There is plenty of depth for a double din cd capable deck as there is a single din cd deck.

about 3 years ago I realized I was wasting money on streaming music services as I never listened to any new music, or rarely at least. I started going by my local library and it takes me about 5 mins to pic out 10-15 cds that I then take home and rip. After going through my local library I got an account in the county next to me as there is a library there that is next to a place I go regularly. I think I have now ripped ove 300 cd's and I am just amazed they can all fit on my phone just fine.
I guess I didn’t articulate my thoughts well. I was actually asking about measurements of the screen, but I didn’t say that. Your screen fit the dash well and I wanted to make sure mine will too. I don’t know why I rambled in to the CD player stuff and never mentioned what I needed.

OP
OP
ttocs

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Sorry I was not clear enough. There are only generally only two radio sizes as far as the front face is concerned, din and double din(technically there is half-din for eq and now the tesla-model size but ignore that for now). The screen size can vary depending on buttons or knobs and such but the actual radio face size is just din/double din. Any double din radio will have the correct size face to fit the kit the only real question then is the depth. With the new radios with a mic input, rca's if you have an amp, back up camera, ect it can get a little busy with the wiring to get it into the dash but again any double din radio should fit that kit and your dash.

And if case anyone is wondering DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung, a German group that sets industry standards and which once set the standard for all car radios. Newer cars tend not to follow DIN standards for stereos and instead integrate the stereo's head unit into the infotainment

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Well I guess that helps then. I just put a double din in my f250, but I felt the screen was a little oddly sized. It felt as if it was as wide as a normal double din, but not as tall.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online