Hydrographics!

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
Anyone here dipped any of their exterior, or interior pieces? I'm thinking the interior pieces could really benefit from this. It could bring the older cars up to date. A lot of newer cars have slightly different interior color pieces, whereas 90's cars tend to be monotone. Maybe something like the door handles. The part that the buttons stick through. I know painting them is an old trick, but this would be so much cooler than a solid color, because you have so many patterns to choose from. And its tough, too. Has to be, they even use it on guns. I don't know how to embed here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CA0DR4GSQg

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Had a buddy here who used to run a hydro shop. He did my door cups in carbon fiber. we've done quite a bit on my girlfriends car though!

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
SAM_0788.JPG

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
rrrgh they might be tough to scrounge up, need to search the other computer haha. I'll see what I can do!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How expensive is hydrographics?!? How well does it hold up?!?

I've got polished sheet metal valve covers that would look awesome dipped plus other parts that I could them match

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
you can get DIY kit on ebay. All you need is a tub of water big enough to hold the part you want to cover. Fill it up, lay your pattern on top, spray on the activator and then dip it. Dipping probably takes some practice but it looks easy enough I thought about trying it out.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It was really simple, everything I dipped came out looking great (he let me do some customer stuff, even the hard stuff like sticker bomb). the only real difference between the home rig and the industrial version is the consistent temperature of water, and having a big air compressor there to do all the spraying and such.

otherwise plenty of people do it at home.

as far as durability, we've got her radiator cover done, it seems to hold up fine under the hood. the guy who owned the business used to do 5.0 engine and coil covers like crazy. they were his "bread and butter" because everyone wanted them.

and as mentioned a lot of gun manufacturers are using it, nobody wants a gun finish to be non-durable!

It really all depends on the clear coat you use.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have no desire to try and do this part myself. I'll gladly do everything else and my wife has caught me doin some stuff that she got pissed off enough about, greasy parts never go on her kitchen cabinets:-(, so I'm not about to use a tub here!!! Lol

This is something I'd rather just send to the pros.

Is this expensive to get done or what?!?

OP
OP
Photonfanatic

Photonfanatic

Reaction score
I have no desire to try and do this part myself. I'll gladly do everything else and my wife has caught me doin some stuff that she got pissed off enough about, greasy parts never go on her kitchen cabinets:-(, so I'm not about to use a tub here!!! Lol

This is something I'd rather just send to the pros.

Is this expensive to get done or what?!?

Yes its expensive to get it done. All you need is a cheap walmart plastic tub. That's it. Its so easy a cave man could do it. You fill up the tub, and make sure the water temp is between 70 and 80 degrees. Your hot water heater will have no problem making that happen. Then all you do is lay out the film on top of the water. It just sits there and floats. Then you spray the activator on top of the film, and that turns the film into almost a liquid, that is sitting on top of the water. Now you dip the part slowly, at an angle. Its literally harder to properly spray paint a part than it is to do this. I'd never pay what they want for doing this. Ebay kits are cheap.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Alright these are the only ones I really have of it for now, since the car is in storage.

I will say, if you want to do carbon fiber, prepare to mess up, a lot. its a really tough pattern to make look "correct"

and we kept that water at 93.5*, just food for thought haha

McCloud

Reaction score
Alright these are the only ones I really have of it for now, since the car is in storage.

I will say, if you want to do carbon fiber, prepare to mess up, a lot. its a really tough pattern to make look "correct"

and we kept that water at 93.5*, just food for thought haha

That looks really good. I've been thinking about having my valve covers dipped in that pattern or sticker bomb.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to do some serious research tonight. This topic has me doin some serious thinking as to what I may do to my stang now

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I considered it for a previous project and after looking into it you can get a kit for 1/2 the price of getting a couple of parts done. Just use an old cooler or one of those plastic storage tubs.

Doodler

Reaction score
That looks really good. I've been thinking about having my valve covers dipped in that pattern or sticker bomb.

Are you concerned about the constant heat melting it? First time I've heard of this. Just curious on how durable it is.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
durable enough to go on guns and no problem on valve covers. I don't think its as durable as a good powder coat but more durable then paint.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I did some research and there is some companies who make the base colors and clears that are good to over 400•. If your valve covers are over 400• then you've got bigger problems to worry about other then your graphics!!!! Lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online