I think I found where my steering slop is coming from...

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Nah, its telescoping so I wont be impaled in the event of a front end collision. For now Im just gonna try and use a pair of vice grips and close it a little bit. Haha if I could afford a solid shaft I would but my jerry rig fix should be good for now hopefully lol.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Man if I had that money at the moment Id get one in a heartbeat. Have you used one before?

RichV

Reaction score
Mine was probably 2x worse than yours.

I did a bunch of research, weighed the options between a Terminator shaft, Borgsen, and MM. Pricing-wise the MM was the best deal. All of these are collapsible. It's pricey $280, but man the steering is phenomenal. I also have the poly rack bushings you can feel the road like no other mustang I've ever driven. My buddy with an 04 had to move my car once and even commented on my steering versus his 04.

Oh, and don't do any ghetto vice grip fixes. You don't need the vice grips to shift and lock your steering up or something while you're driving. You can live with the play until you replace it. I did read that a couple of people tack welded their shaft in a couple of spots for this problem. In the event of an accident the 1 or 2 tack welds will break.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Ill probably have to bust out the credit card then lol. It was much worse before I swapped to poly steering rack bushings but this also contributes to it. The rag joint has some flex in it but the tires are responding to my steering imput, granted thats with putting a vice grip on the lower shaft and wiggling that way, so my rag joint isnt in that bad shape. So you guys think its a bad idea to close up the gap a little with vice grips?

Edit: And richv, I wont be keeping the vice srips on the steering shaft, I would be pinching the lower shaft in a tad to get rid of the excess space so the lower and upper shafts are better fitted together.

Addermk2

Reaction score
simple fix. the shaft in my cobra was worse. Take the shaft out and use a chisel to tighten the pinches in the metal.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Do you think thatll be an ok fix for a few months? I tried to get a pair of vice grips around it to pinch it but damn is that thing tough

Addermk2

Reaction score
You have to take the shaft right out of the car.

I did mine back in 2009... it's still in there.

GregT94SCC

Reaction score
I used a chisel on the lower portion of mine years ago. Worked great.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online