idea for new product.

daltonduree

Reaction score
i was just thinking late model could make some serious money if they simply started reproducing sn95 export tailights, mirrors, and whatnot. the market is so dry if you are looking for some and selling them for 200 bucks would be easy.

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
buutt. they have a much better influence with the companies that do manufacture.

Creating a product requires R&D, creating prototypes, setting up and tooling machinery, defining/perfecting a process, trial runs, etc. Sure, large retailers can have some influence on what is manufactured and made available to the market, but our cars are 10 to 20 years old. The demand for aftermarket parts and accessories will eventually plateau and then decline rapidly. Manufacturers know this. They aren't going to waste their time developing and producing products to sell for a very limited amount of time. Apparently there isn't a large enough market demand, or else it would have been done well before now.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Creating a product requires R&D, creating prototypes, setting up and tooling machinery, defining/perfecting a process, trial runs, etc. Sure, large retailers can have some influence on what is manufactured and made available to the market, but our cars are 10 to 20 years old. The demand for aftermarket parts and accessories will eventually plateau and then decline rapidly. Manufacturers know this. They aren't going to waste their time developing and producing products to sell for a very limited amount of time. Apparently there isn't a large enough market demand, or else it would have been done well before now.

I doubt too much r&d will have to go into a tail light ......I mean if they can pop out altezza "euro" style bs.... adding a bulb and and an amber plastic lense isn't beyond their capability.

The D3V

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt too much r&d will have to go into a tail light ......I mean if they can pop out altezza "euro" style bs.... adding a bulb and and an amber plastic lense isn't beyond their capability.

I agree, but what I am saying is that the market demand isn't there or else they would have done it already. Of course the export style tail light housings cost a fortune now, because they're rare and people are willing to open their wallets to get their hands on them. But once somebody develops a way to mass produce them, the prices will drop like a rock, even on the OE lights as well, because the market will become flooded with replicas. Not to mention, the average consumer isn't going to care, nor do they probably even know what an "export" light is. They're only valuable to us, as enthusiasts.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree with deeplist.
I don't think there is a big enough market for these parts to start producing them now.
Just because there's a large demand within a online mustang community doesn't mean anything. You need to be able to sell the product to everyone. If I never went online i would have 0 idea what this export fad is.

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
I remember the export stuff being a big deal back 6-8 years ago. Now, the only time I hear someone talking about it is someone that is looking for something specific.

I think it was always some cool looking stuff, but unfortunately, there is no market for that stuff any longer.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
Yeah... I think the steep price killed the market early.... is I had a choice ID take exports they look better.... covers head lights vs gt

The D3V

Jarrod@latemodel

Reaction score
But I believe there is a market if pursued......

The D3V

There might be a market for a select few people. Less than 100. When you bring a new product to the market, 100 people wont even cover the shipping cost during R&D.

I think it would be cool to have something new and exciting, but there is just not a big enough market to support it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online