Idles rough and than dies?

Junkyard98GT

Reaction score
hello everyone,

This is my first post if not allowed please remove this. I bought a 1998 mustang GT that had sat under a tree a year ago for $200 it was in really ruff shape. Since than I have been putting the motor, the body and the interior back together. I also swapped the automatic transmission for a T-45. I am now having an issue I tried to start it yesterday for the first time and it fired up after a few times of trying it but it was idling very rough and would die if you didn't stay on the gas and rev it. There is no mid pipe on it so it is open header currently and the O2 sensors are not plugged in. Also the car has been sitting for a year before I started working on it and I have not checked the fuel filter or the quality of gas in the tank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on where to star? *if not allowed mods please move to correct place*

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
First, dump the tank and then get a new filter. Second the ecu will not be able to tell if its rich/lean with no sensors and at the very least I would imagine puts it in limp mode. Try pulling some codes and see what it all says.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Definitely fresh gas! Definitely fuel filter change. And if it were me, id hange the oil too. No tellin how many miles the oil has been through

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
With no mid pipe and no o2’s the computer has no idea how’s it running and it’s gonna keep causing trouble. And with gas that old it’s now varnish.

As blak and Ttocs said, fix those items then move forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
J

Junkyard98GT

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the reply’s. I have since bought a fuel filter and today I plan on dropping the tank. Any recommendations on how to clean the tank should I just swish some gas around in there and put some new fuel? One other question is I plan on ordering an o/r x-pipe will I need Mil eliminators or can I just plug O2 sensors into that? Thanks again!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they make kits to clean gas tanks if it is really dirty but drop it and take a look inside and see what it looks like. There is a strainer/filter inside the tank on the bottom of the hanger and it would be good to swap that out while your in there. Check the pump out as well and see if it looks ok as well as the S-hose that goes from the pump to the top of the hanger. It can get a crack in it and then you can get a leak in the fuel system that leaves low pressure that is nearly impossible to find since the leak drains back into the tank.

OP
OP
J

Junkyard98GT

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply about the fuel system worked out great. I’m still waiting on my mud pipe to come in. I went with an o/r x-pipe still not sure if I need MIL eliminators or not? One other thing I noticed is that my EGR tube wasn’t hooked up and neither were the two vacuum lines coming off of the black plastic egr valve I think I’m going to delete the egr just so I don’t have to buy that $60 tube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online

No members online now.