installing a 408 in my 94. Need help with Hood suggestions

wldtang

Reaction score
I am installing a 408 in my 94 cobra. I will be using a super victor spyder efi intake with an elbow. I know I will need a new hood. Need to know if this hood will clear.

Thinking of running a 96-98 cobra hood or a cobra R hood.
I am sure the R hood will clear. But I really like the 96-98 hood. Anyone know if it will clear the intake?

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
I seriously dont think so, I dont think there is any elevation with it over a normal stang hood, your going to need a few inches of clearance to clear that big cube monster

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Okay, here goes...

I've had a 418 ci Windsor under a 98 Cobra hood and it cleared. However, it was a HUGE PAIN IN THE ASS to get it that way. Here's how to do it:

1. Install drop solid motor mounts made by HP Motorsport
2. Minimize the distance between the mating surfaces of the upper and lower intake manifolds. In other words, forget about having spacers. If you have spacers or nitrous plates like I did, this will become a bigger PIA.
3. Ensure the air inlet for the TB drops down below the horizontal plane of the top of the TB as soon as it exits. The difficulty is not in getting the motor to fit, but getting the air pipe that is attached to it to fit. It will hit part of the triangular support brace on middle of the an OEM Cobra hood. I had a custom pipe made, which is in the attic now I think. I used a SN95 TB adapter and a 75mm BBK TB.

You can also use a low-rise intake like a Cobra or something and a C&L air inlet tube. Like I said, it just needs to drop down as soon as possible.

Here's a picture of the first 351 in the car, followed by the 418.

Old%20351%20Motor.jpg

Old%20418%20Motor.jpg

Once I switched to a 4" air inlet pipe, it was all over. No amount of milling, cutting, and other headaches would make it work. That was a sad day because I really liked my Cobra hood. :(

Paul.

M

musclemustang94

The cobra R hood will clear. 408 uses the 351 block, the cobra R had a slight cowl cuz the 351 has a taller deck (you knew that already though). I would bet you the Cobra R will clear. Get a cowl though, its a way cleaner look...or a big pro stock style scoop ;D

tommybunz

Reaction score
dude i feel your pain cause im building a 351w for my 95 and i have thought and thought about hwat the hell im gonna do. But i tell you what the drop solid mounts will suck if you use them.

M

musclemustang94

Pffftt, you guys and your wimpy small blocks. This winter I am going to build a 460 for my car.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
tommybunz said:
dude i feel your pain cause im building a 351w for my 95 and i have thought and thought about hwat the hell im gonna do. But i tell you what the drop solid mounts will suck if you use them.

They're really not that bad IMHO. Yes, they definitely vibrate a bunch more than stock, but I've gotten used to them in my 94 Convertible.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online