Installing a pinion bearing without a hydraulic press

PWNY

Reaction score
So I found myself in my garage needing to install a pinion bearing on my new gear set and I don't own a hydraulic press, so i tried out a trick that I was not sure would work. I put my pinion gear in the freezer overnight, put my bearing in the oven at 350 for 5 minutes, and it went on easier than expected. It seemed like it installed itself! I made a video of it

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The theory is solid, and apparently works. However, if you’ve ever put one on without doing the heat/freeze stuff, you would not have made me believe that this would work. Those things go on TIGHT. Good job. I’ll have to give it a go on my next setup.

OP
OP
PWNY

PWNY

Reaction score
why not get out the bfh? Seems like the perfect time to work off some stress.
I had enough hammer swinging for one day when I installed the bearing races in the diff! LOL

The theory is solid, and apparently works. However, if you’ve ever put one on without doing the heat/freeze stuff, you would not have made me believe that this would work. Those things go on TIGHT. Good job. I’ll have to give it a go on my next setup.
I have installed and removed my fair share of pinion bearings and they don't give up without a fight!! I was skeptical first but I was surprised!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That trick has been around for years. There’s other uses for it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lrb78

Reaction score
Where I work we routinely pack bearings and shafts in dry ice, same principle but a lot quicker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online