TKO600: Throw Out Bearing replacement questions

Venompower

Reaction score
So my DD is in the body shop due to a hit and run last fall. I decided to DD the Cobra to avoid a rental and the first week was fine, but yesterday I noticed it becoming increasingly harder to shift gears. I pushed the clutch in to downshift to second and it started rattling pretty bad. Continued on, and eventually couldn’t shift from neutral into first or second. Shut the car off put it in gear the started it and limped into a parking lot.

I think the throw out bearing is toast. After a flat bed tow truck trip back to my house I tried to start it and it immediately tried to jump forward, TOB not disengaging.

So…. What would you replace? Obviously OEM throw out bearing… but what else?

It’s 1996 Cobra with a TKO600.IMG_1053.jpegIMG_1054.jpegIMG_1056.jpeg

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I would do it for piece of mind
While you are in there
Hate to take it back apart if something else

Michael Plummer

Reaction score
Hi there,
1. Nice looking car, and good luck with your replacement parts and installation.
2. Don't be cheap, and try to save a few pennies by buying replacement parts from Amazon and eBay (fakes). Instead, buy from authorized resellers like JEGS, Summit Racing, or your local Ford dealership.

I just replaced a Ford Racing throwout bearing (purchased from Amazon) for a customer last week. The fake Ford Racing throwout bearing lasted two days before making a grounding noise when engaged. He ordered a new Ford Performance throwout bearing from Summit Racing, and so far, all is good.

Good luck
Michael Plummer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online