Interior dye?

lizwithfries

Reaction score
Has anyone had any luck with interior paint?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/MET-FV51/95-98-Mustang-Black-Vinyl-Interior-Paint

I really wanna do the '04 type center console since mine is broke anyway and I found mint door panels out a new edge, only problem is the dark charcoal obviously doesn't match black interior. It's so hard to find nice black interior that doesn't cost a million dollars. I'm sick of driving a car that's trashed on the inside, so do yall think it'd be worth it to try interior dye or just try to find black interior again?

Sinned83

Reaction score
I don't think the dyes hold up. I just keep looking on craigslist and in our classifieds and pieced mine together.

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt trust a dye for shit when it comes to interior. Its cheap so i'm sure the results will be too.
I would just piece it together with parts from cl, junkyards, classified sections, etc etc

OP
OP
lizwithfries

lizwithfries

Reaction score
The only reason I was asking about the dye was because they don't make the newer style center console in black that I could find.

joekd

Reaction score
SEM is good stuff, I have used it on a few things over the years and it has held up fine. It's really all about the prep.

Now to anyone who says they would never use dye how do you think Ford gets the interior pieces those pretty colors to begin with? They don't mold them using custom colored pieces you know.

To anyone who is still a doubter I invite you to come sit in my seats and show me how that dyed fabric isn't holding up to wear and sun just fine

Lastly you are changing from charcoal to black, not exactly a huge change anyway like it would be starting with a white or blue piece

greenscobie86

Reaction score
SEM is good stuff, I have used it on a few things over the years and it has held up fine. It's really all about the prep.

Now to anyone who says they would never use dye how do you think Ford gets the interior pieces those pretty colors to begin with? They don't mold them using custom colored pieces you know.

To anyone who is still a doubter I invite you to come sit in my seats and show me how that dyed fabric isn't holding up to wear and sun just fine

Lastly you are changing from charcoal to black, not exactly a huge change anyway like it would be starting with a white or blue piece

+1 ^

I repainted a gray 98 style console to put into my black interior 96 car with the same paint/dye from latemodelresto. Came out MINT and held up for more than a year until I sold the car.
As long as you prep it right and dont take any shortcuts it'll be fine.

OP
OP
lizwithfries

lizwithfries

Reaction score
What kind of prep work does it need?

I figure it can't look any worse than it already does.

Sinned83

Reaction score
I guarantee they don't use a can of spray paint. Either way its not my car, to each his own.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
The SEM stuff works great. That's how I did my fox because it was hideous grey. It turned out great and looks like factory. It's just hard for me to get my hands on it because of certain laws here . They do not sell it. I have to get threw the US .

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
I used the duplicolor stuff liz and it worked well. In flat black it matches the stock pretty well

OP
OP
lizwithfries

lizwithfries

Reaction score
* To each her own lol.

Can anyone talk to me about the right way to do prep work to make it look good?

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I wipe everything down with gun wash. You can't sant consoles and stuff like door panels because of the texture. The gun wash gets rid of any oils grease or any other contaminants like interior cleaners etc.This is all I did for prep on my car and it turned out flawless. Hope this helps

robb15033

Reaction score
I use a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" (Great shit, real magic) and scrub everything down getting down into the perforations. Wipe clean real well. Wipe everything down with alcohol. Use many light coats. I use the Dupi-Color Vinyl & fabric dye. Flat black matched the black dash perfectly. I'm using the gloss on certain pieces for contrast. Ford oem pieces are on my wish list on e-bay and some web sites. I'm utilizing both.

joekd

Reaction score
I use a "Mr. Clean Magic Eraser" (Great shit, real magic) and scrub everything down getting down into the perforations. Wipe clean real well. Wipe everything down with alcohol. Use many light coats.

Exactly my technique. I put 91% alcohol in a spray bottle, pull on the nitrile gloves and go crazy with it.

You need to make sure that your leather or vinyl is COMPLETELY clean and free of any body oils, conditioners, cleaners, or any other substance which could affect the adhesion of the new finish to the old finish.

Goldmember

Reaction score
There are several tutorials on youtube for this. But as has been said, get the parts clean and adhesion shouldn't really be a problem. '04 console with actual useful cupholders FTMFW

97LSxGT

Reaction score
Fwiw I replaced the pass side bezel that always breaks and used SEM saddle tan. Its pretty good stuff. A guy i know that works for Dent Wizard and does ALL their interior work for our dealership also recommended using a low gloss clear on it to match the rest of the interior otherwise its flat..but like they said a good pRep goes a long way

98Viperblue

Reaction score
I dyed my entire interior in my old '96 cobra. I used krylon fusion for plastics -flat black

For prep I just cleaned everything with soap and water (dawn) and then went over it again with alcohol.

IMG_1965.jpg

9838stang

Reaction score
DSCN0786.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

DSCN0774.jpg

I painted the rear interior panels black(top half). Have had them this way for about 3 years now... still holding up well. just need to prep it well. use rubbing alcohol, and wax and grim remover on the panels. I would get a test panel first to see how the spray goes one. and try it out.

gopher_6_9

Reaction score
SEM dye works great. The advice on prep has been pretty much spot on, I do prefer to have everything out of the car and perform a good scrubbing with degreaser, then a good general wash, once that is dry I like to wipe down with a cloth and thinner and then a final tack cloth and thinner wipe.

blkmcnasty

Reaction score
Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter aerosol is amazing stuff, I use it before painting anything now.

cp199_030210.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican

Members online

No members online now.