Interior lights not working after fuse blown

Eros Akira

Reaction score
Hi, I was trying to install a new radio when accidentally 2 cables made contact and turned off all my interior lights, clock and the odometer functionallity. Then I went straight to the fuse box behind the steering wheel and check every fuse which I found that the fuse for lamps, power mirror and interior lights was blown. I replaced the fuse with its respective amp measure. Not enough with that I also checked the front fuse box near the battery which no fuse was blown. Then I checked that only the power mirror, the clock and the odometer were functioning perfectly. But the interior lights didn't work. Any suggestions?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
interior lights, do you mean the overhead dome light, or the dash lights? Did you connect any of the orange wires on the radio harness? If you didn't did you insulate those wires?

OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
interior lights, do you mean the overhead dome light, or the dash lights? Did you connect any of the orange wires on the radio harness? If you didn't did you insulate those wires?
Both of them. I will try connecting the orange wires. Thank you so much for the help!

OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
20221023_182143.jpg20221023_182158.jpg20221023_182228.jpg
Don't worry, the battery is unplugged. Which orange cables? I see that there are 2 orange cables which are unplugged (one of them is white with orange lines which i think is for amps)

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the orange wires I was talking about would have been in an aftermarket harness that plugs into the stock harness. Not any stock orang wires. If you have ANY bare wire, insulate it and then go check all your fuses again.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea it is a wreck If you look at the one pic you can see two black 8 pin harnesses that are plugged in together. That harness goes from the amp at the bottom of the dash(which if you keep having a dead battery is probably why) to the tweeters. What I recommend doing is disconnecting it, and using that as your speaker inputs to feed the decks speaker outputs. This is assuming the stock speakers have been replaced since they are rotted by now, but if you do then just use the speaker wire that goes to the tweeters now as your signal for what ever speakers you install. This way you bypass the mach system which is not work keeping anymore

OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
Yea it is a wreck If you look at the one pic you can see two black 8 pin harnesses that are plugged in together. That harness goes from the amp at the bottom of the dash(which if you keep having a dead battery is probably why) to the tweeters. What I recommend doing is disconnecting it, and using that as your speaker inputs to feed the decks speaker outputs. This is assuming the stock speakers have been replaced since they are rotted by now, but if you do then just use the speaker wire that goes to the tweeters now as your signal for what ever speakers you install. This way you bypass the mach system which is not work keeping anymore
Oh ok, it is true that the battery has been dying a lot even the new one I bought. I will disconect that. Meanwhile i think the problem is the dimmer light switch that possibly could be blown. Because since the fuse is doing its propper job making the mirrors, clock, roof lights, and the odometer work. Maybe the dimmer has blown; because when I rotate it also doesn't dim the clock's and the headlights dim. What do you think?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
pretty sure the dimmer circuit is broken in one of those many wires that you see bare in your dash. What year is this in? I have the factory manuals for 94/95 but after that your on your own

OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
pretty sure the dimmer circuit is broken in one of those many wires that you see bare in your dash. What year is this in? I have the factory manuals for 94/95 but after that your on your own
It wasn't the dimmer switch. For some reason I replaced every fuse with a new fuse and the lights came up again.(a few ones blew). When I got the dimmer switch out of the pannel it seemed alright and new. So my last chance was the fuse box so i did replace everything. And finnaly it worked.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
The dimmer switch controls the voltage and then sends it into the depths of the dash and the wire/circuit goes up through the radio. With the wires disconnected it will not matter what size fuse you put in there at least until the wire shorts out. Again what year car is this?

OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
Hi, I was trying to install a new radio when accidentally 2 cables made contact and turned off all my interior lights, clock and the odometer functionallity. Then I went straight to the fuse box behind the steering wheel and check every fuse which I found that the fuse for lamps, power mirror and interior lights was blown. I replaced the fuse with its respective amp measure. Not enough with that I also checked the front fuse box near the battery which no fuse was blown. Then I checked that only the power mirror, the clock and the odometer were functioning perfectly. But the interior lights didn't work. Any suggestions?
Solution: take your time and check carefully every fuse first. ( check the fuse boxes behind the steering wheel and the one close to the battery)

If it doesn't work then:
-Check if the dimmer switch is not burned or blown.
-Try to put a new light at the bottom of the gear stick. If it doesn't turn on, rotate the light and install again for the other side( some lights just work with one side). This will test if the electric system stills in function and if the light turns on that means that all your other dash lights are blown.
-double check both fuse boxes again.

If you tried all of this and it doesn't work. It might be some internal issues or maybe I ran out of ideas sorry. Look for other post.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221025-075726_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20221025-075726_WhatsApp.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211230_140920.jpg
    20211230_140920.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
E

Eros Akira

Reaction score
The dimmer switch controls the voltage and then sends it into the depths of the dash and the wire/circuit goes up through the radio. With the wires disconnected it will not matter what size fuse you put in there at least until the wire shorts out. Again what year car is this?
Sorry for not answering, mine is from the 1995. The dimmer switch is working properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online