is a 75mm throttlebody too large..?

FrankenStang

Reaction score
My mods and car are, 1993 cougar with a 5.0 HO ( same as in ur mustangs 94-95) , explorer intake upper and lower , new style 19lb injectors , 70mm mafs , performance wires cap and coil..i also have a m,ild shift kit and a dynamic TC if that factors in at all.
What im wondering is if i get and install a 75mm throttlebody will i lose HP ?
My issues now with the car is it has NOOOO top end, if i go WOT at 60mp the kick down is weak..my 0-60 is pretty nice my 25-70 is nice but when at freeway speeds it has a honda under the hood. Would a 75mm help this or worsen it?
People told me on my 4.6 that a 75mm was too large but it helped my car at every speed and rpm..but i know nothing about 5.0's..and im pretty shur they dont make a 70mm one for my car as ive looked everywhere and i dont know if i can use your guys mustnag one or not because mine has a TV spot for the trans cable as i have an aod not aode..or can someone post a close up of the linkage on their 70mm throttlebody...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'd change the heads out if I were you . These cars are slugs up top

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
e7 heads or what ever they are called, yaaaa i know..id like a few more cheap bolt on befor i tackle heads that im un familiar with...id love todo heads but pocket wise i cant..id be scraping up the 200 for the throttlebody..

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not a motor expert but with a 75 mm tb with a 70 maf I can't imagine it would help anything. Wait for one of the motor guys to comment but imo=no.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Like I'm saying give up on cheap bolt ons they do nothing on pushrods the only thing that really does anything is called exhaust and headers . Cold air intake does nothing , throttle body does nothing but make noise , under drive pullies do nothing as well .... I know this from experience and wish I would have just done heads from the start

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
They don't do anything too a stock motor, but I looked at all the small upgrades as something that was needed when I finally did my HCI swap. I mean no way in hell I would choke all that off with stock intake/exhaust and the heads/cam is expensive just on their own.

Figure out what you want too do with the car and get a list of parts you want too put on it. Keep your eyes open and its not too hard too find what you want for a fair price either new or used but if you go to get it all at one time it will cost a lot more...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know what ya mean Scott the top end needs to breathe

188slo50

Reaction score
Your best bet is to go with a 76mm MAF and a 70mm TB. Are you running the 94-95 TB elbow or the Fox setup? As everyone has posted the E&'s are what holds you back and even some GT40 would help some if you can get a good price on them.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Bigger tb won't do anything for you. Wait till you do heads, you already got the intake done, so do explorer GT40 heads, and throw a nice cam in. Then do the 70mm tb and a 76mm maf. Putting the 70mm throttlebody on an otherwise stock 5.0 is worthless, all you do is hear more noise which will make you think oh shit more noise its gotta be faster lol. Try and put together a decent pair of heads and a cam then you'll really benefit from it and the car will pull a lot harder.

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
i cant do heads guys...they are just out of my budget,even if i can land a set of gt40's for cheap im still looking at gaskets and install prices..i wont attempt a head job again.so should i just leave the Tbody stock then i dont wanna waste the money and exhaust im not forking over 2000+ for,this is a cougar not a mustang so its wayyyy more expensive?
Again, i cant do 70mm because they dont make that size for my car..ille have to check to see if they make one for supercoupes because thats the same throtlebody.
believe me , if i had the 1000 bucks on hand heads would be the 1st thing id do.All these other 1hp adding mods are just their because how easy they were to put on and i knew that they did help.

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dude heads on pushrod cars is a breeze . Don't be scared what you did on the modular car is no easy task . That's fine if its outta ur budget but you will come to love how easy the pushrod engine is to work on.

Addermk2

Reaction score
65mm TB is about the max I'd suggest. I run a 75 on my 11.25:1 CR 347. Your car will barely flow over 750kg/hr, which is well within the limits of a 65mm TB. Also, don't bother swapping away from the 70mm MAF. Never ever run a C&L either.

toyman

Reaction score
Who says a 70m TB isn't made. Here's mine.

TB-1.jpeg.JPG

FRPP%2070%20mm%20TB.JPG

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
damn, a mustang one wont fit my car...ille need a supercoupe one from the early models and then i can match the 70mm tbody to the 70mm mafs and that should match nice into my explorer intake...when thats done and said ille save up for some gt40 heads and give them a mild port and save to pay someone to help me put them on.(better safe than sorry)
i also cut my mufflers off last night and man the car sounds like it would be mean..

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
65mm TB is about the max I'd suggest. I run a 75 on my 11.25:1 CR 347. Your car will barely flow over 750kg/hr, which is well within the limits of a 65mm TB. Also, don't bother swapping away from the 70mm MAF. Never ever run a C&L either.

I run their cai and maf combo, whats up with em?

OP
OP
FrankenStang

FrankenStang

Reaction score
i guess ille just focus on other things...weather permitting i should be taking it to the track to see what it run on Wed...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online