Joe's '94GT money pit

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
No, but I do have a MSD coil and cap/rotor.

Five

Reaction score
Following for the stereo noise solution. I have a wicked whine in my '98. I haven't done the big three yet (waiting for the engine swap to do it). I ran a big ground to the rear bumper mount for my battery relocation and used it to ground the amps. I didn't use a grinder or anything to bare the metal, so that could be a problem.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
assuming the coil is in the stock location it should not be a problem. So far if I am not mistaken now you have replaced the deck, rca's, and amps? Other than removing/cleaning or adding grounds I do not really have any more ideas.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
assuming the coil is in the stock location it should not be a problem. So far if I am not mistaken now you have replaced the deck, rca's, and amps? Other than removing/cleaning or adding grounds I do not really have any more ideas.

Correct, MSD coil in stock location. New deck, RCAs, amp, and power wire to the amp. Also, I replaced the noise condenser on the coil. I've replaced the grounds from block to frame, and battery to motor mount. I ran a new ground for the head unit as well, thinking maybe the factory ground in the harness was bad. The amp is grounded to the rear seatbelt bolt. I still have the small ground from battery to frame behind the headlight to replace, but I'll do that this weekend when my new battery terminals arrive.

I installed ground loop isolators on both the front/rear channels, and tried to isolate the alternator from the equation. I may not have done that properly though - I may try and disconnect the power wire from the alternator to the distribution block to totally eliminate that. I only disconnected the two plugs from it during my test.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
I still need to replace the power wire from the alternator to the distribution block. Does this require a fuse or anything?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I still need to replace the power wire from the alternator to the distribution block. Does this require a fuse or anything?
I have mine on a breaker right at the alt on the wire from the alt to the stock fuse block/dist block but I am also trying to protect an expensive high current alt. There are fusable links in the stock wire from the alt to the stock fuse/dist block as well. One of the first rules of mobile electronics is you always fuse the power wires...
ONg0yha.jpg

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Gotcha. Seems like I remember reading about the fusible links at some point. What's a good amperage rating for that wire? I'm just running a stock alternator, and would likely replace with a similar one if it ever fails.

EDIT: Gorgeous engine, BTW!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Gotcha. Seems like I remember reading about the fusible links at some point. What's a good amperage rating for that wire? I'm just running a stock alternator, and would likely replace with a similar one if it ever fails.

EDIT: Gorgeous engine, BTW!
It depends on what size wire you run.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
The big 3 kit I got is 1/0. I ran 4ga to the amp.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Dropping the car off for tint at lunch today, will do 20% all around. Do the cool kids still do a strip across the top of the windshield? We always did in the past, but I'm not sure if that is still a thing or not. There's no matrix/dots across the top, so that should be doable I think.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Dropping the car off for tint at lunch today, will do 20% all around. Do the cool kids still do a strip across the top of the windshield? We always did in the past, but I'm not sure if that is still a thing or not. There's no matrix/dots across the top, so that should be doable I think.
nah man just have them tint the whole front. Years ago I had a buddy with an rx7 that did that and it did look cool. Cool enough to get pulled over 2x in 2 days a week after he did it and they normally never care around here.

07GtS197

Reaction score
My 02 gt had a tinted windshield, it’s ok until it gets old and harder to see through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Yeah talking with my tint guy when I dropped it off, he recommended against it. He said in order to do it right, you have the take the rear view mirror off. And, with older cars, you have a good chance of breaking the window and/or the mirror. He said for the back glass where the dot matrix is at the top to get some black vinyl to cover it with. You can tint it, but it generally doesn't last long or look good.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ordered some matte black vinyl to cover the dot matrix on the top of the back glass. Hopefully I can get some time to work on that and the new battery terminals this weekend, assuming house projects don't take up the entire weekend. We're trying to get our house ready to go on the market.

I did get an offer from an eBay seller on a GT40 Exploder intake. $300 shipped for both upper and lower (non-EGR version). It's been cleaned, dipped, and painted, looks really nice. That's a little higher that some of the others I'm watching, but it is super clean.

07GtS197

Reaction score
That’s one of the best deals I’ve seen on eBay, especially a cleaned and painted one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ordered a few goodies today, should be here next Wednesday:
new Hurst black shift knob (current one is missing the top part, not sure how that happens)
new LED license plate bulb housing/lamps (LED)
new speed sensor
a couple of kick panel Christmas tree push pins

Thinking the speed sensor may be wonky, possibly causing my cruise issues. I've got a new speedometer gear to install while I'm there too. The license light housings are broken/dry rotted, and need replacement.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Went to work on the remaining ground up front, and installed new battery terminals this weekend. I also tried to put some matte black vinyl across the top of the rear window over the dot matrix stuff that my tint guy didn't get. That was a big fail. I gave up after 20 minutes and several feet of wasted vinyl. I've laid tons of vinyl in the past, but never tried a curved back window. I may take it back to my tint guy at some point and have him put it on, but it's not a huge sticking point.

Ground behind driver headlight - could this have been part of my noise problem?
qiQRFEN.jpg

Cleaned up and sanded to bare metal, both of those grounds went to the right. I also added another ground from the battery to this spot with some leftover 8ga wire.
1zkCxWO.jpg

Here you can see the new battery terminal, with the existing grounds (top and right, new additional ground bottom). You can just barely see the 1/0 ground I replaced attached at the terminal:
EF6LFLj.jpg

New + terminal:
3ct8oAX.jpg

Both terminals
avEtr8j.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online