Just checked my MPG :D

atrainsgt

Reaction score
Well I got 201 miles to 13.6 gallons(13.4MPG) with at least half of that on the highway.....Thats pretty pathetic but I didn't buy a mustang for gas mileage. Whats funny is last week I was really running it hard and I got 15.2 mpg compared to this weeks 13.4mpg and I was babying it. I guess mustangs like to be driven hard. What are you all getting? A friend of mine claims he gets 25mpg on the highway but I'm tempted to call him a liar.

Passenger

Reaction score
25mpg is plausible. I've gotten 18mpg in mine driving half highway/half city. Mine is a 302 with 3.73s and a lead foot driver.

NERD

Reaction score
I get 28.6mpg at 65-70 freeway and 25 city.

Check for exhaust leaks, dirty injectors, bad gas (winter gas sucks), clogged cats, or a lead foot.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
I dont get why some people are getting such good MPG like this dude above me. Ive babied the hell out of it with a 87 octane gas tune and still got 20 mpg.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
How the hell do you guys get 25-30 mpg...why am i getting 20 mpg if I go 60 mph 90 % of the time?

I

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The plugs are like 500 miles old, the filter is brand new, not sure what you mean by MAF? you mean clean it?

just changed the oil, tranny fluid. Only thing I would like to change is the fuel filter, but I think that was changed not too long ago...and I dont really understand why a fuel filter would make gas mileage any worse.

AaRoN

King Post Whore
Reaction score
Yeah I mean clean the MAF. The fuel filter can affect your MPG, especially if it's clogged. I'd check that if I were you. You have an XCal. Right?

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
but even straight cruising at 60-65 mph for the entire tank I was still averagin 20 mpg at best.

O well. :dunno:

LI98GT

Reaction score
Local driving I get 19mpg and pure highway 70-75mph (driving to carlisle PA from L.I.), I consistantly get 24.5 mpg. Before you go too crazy, check your mpg on your next tankful as there may have been a mistake somwhere with the last one, then start looking at things that might effect gas mileage i.e. pcv, fuel filter, air filter, plugs, condition of cats etc... I use pure synthetic oil that may or may not make mpg difference and min is a manual which has 5speeds where as autos have 4 forward gears so would expect lower mileage with an auto.

voidfinger

Reaction score
rule of thumb = 5 speed has better highway where as the auto has better town

Now on a tank of gas i see anywhere from 22-26 and that is with a little spirited driving put in.

Couple things to look at and do.

1) CLEAN THE MAF SENSOR WITH MAF SPRAY "Can not be over stated... picked up power and about 2 mpg when i did mine"
2) EGR Valve might be old , may need new one
3) Change the PCV valve... How old is your pcv valve? suppose to be changed every 20k i think
4) Spark plugs gapped to .054 or .052 "one or the other"
5) How old are your wires? if over 60k up to 100k you might want to change them "helped me out a little"
6) Maybe its something in your tune that is killing economy? did you update or change the fuel maps?
7) As stated above , could be clogged injectors, dirty fuel filter "ps. if you run your tank dry it sucks a lot of shit into the filter and if you run it really low it does it also", exaust leak "highly plausible with long tubes", I see that you go 60/65 but how long does it take you to get there, and how long do you stay at 60/65 "because if you just drive short distances the car isn't going to get good milage", another note on a tune, running lean gives you better gas milage than rich... , also do you use cruise control? i could help if your in flat lands or if its hilly then don't use it as much b/c hills cause milage to go down, what psi do you run your tires? front and rear? could you have brake binding? When is the last time you added a bottle of fuel system cleaner?

As you can see this list will keep going and going. But its coming from somewhere. Just check these items off in your head and fix the ones that are easy and then start working your way threw. I would also add a bottle of fuel system clean to every tank of gas for a while and see if that helps.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
voidfinger said:

Now on a tank of gas i see anywhere from 22-26 and that is with a little spirited driving put in.

1) CLEAN THE MAF SENSOR WITH MAF SPRAY "Can not be over stated... picked up power and about 2 mpg when i did mine"
3) Change the PCV valve... How old is your pcv valve? suppose to be changed every 20k i think
5) How old are your wires? if over 60k up to 100k you might want to change them "helped me out a little"
6) Maybe its something in your tune that is killing economy? did you update or change the fuel maps?
7) As stated above , could be clogged injectors, dirty fuel filter "ps. if you run your tank dry it sucks a lot of shit into the filter and if you run it really low it does it also", exaust leak "highly plausible with long tubes", I see that you go 60/65 but how long does it take you to get there, and how long do you stay at 60/65 "because if you just drive short distances the car isn't going to get good milage", another note on a tune, running lean gives you better gas milage than rich... , also do you use cruise control? i could help if your in flat lands or if its hilly then don't use it as much b/c hills cause milage to go down, what psi do you run your tires? front and rear? could you have brake binding? When is the last time you added a bottle of fuel system cleaner?

As you can see this list will keep going and going. But its coming from somewhere. Just check these items off in your head and fix the ones that are easy and then start working your way threw. I would also add a bottle of fuel system clean to every tank of gas for a while and see if that helps.

Mostly 20-20 mile trips...I dont have cruise control. I run about 35-40 psi in all the tires. Brand new front brakes...I hope theres no brake binding.Its been a while for the fuel system cleaner.

im pretty much good except for I should clean the MAF, replace pcv and egr.

Maybe ill get better gas mileage when I install the blower, Ill be running a new MAF, new injectors, New fuel pump, and ill change my fuel filter at that time.

19mustang95

Legend
Reaction score
voidfinger said:

not really. a 5 speed with gears can get much better gas mileage..i average 19 with all city driving and average 26-27 on the highway and have gotten 30 a couple times.

NERD

Reaction score
Also, I should mention, I don't have a can'd tune. My tuner uses SCT software and used a Dynojet with wide band and "sniffers" to dial it in. I have a flip tune for economy and premium. Leaner is meaner, plain and simple thats how I get 261rwhp with almost no mods.

voidfinger

Reaction score
DFG, i'm speaking on average. The auto changes gears when it needs to so the city mpg goes down where as the 5 speed has user error but the higher OD gear of the 5 speed helps out on the interstate. Now with gears the equation moves around a bit and if you keep one stock and add gears to the other... what use is there conpairing.

voidfinger

Reaction score
justinschmidt1 said:
voidfinger said:

Mostly 20-20 mile trips...I dont have cruise control. I run about 35-40 psi in all the tires. Brand new front brakes...I hope theres no brake binding.Its been a while for the fuel system cleaner.

im pretty much good except for I should clean the MAF, replace pcv and egr.

Maybe ill get better gas mileage when I install the blower, Ill be running a new MAF, new injectors, New fuel pump, and ill change my fuel filter at that time.

that would probably be the reason there... back at home where i use to live i made short 20/25 mile trips and averaged around 18/20 mpg

voidfinger

Reaction score
sxynerd said:
Also, I should mention, I don't have a can'd tune. My tuner uses SCT software and used a Dynojet with wide band and "sniffers" to dial it in. I have a flip tune for economy and premium. Leaner is meaner, plain and simple thats how I get 261rwhp with almost no mods.

Leaner is meaner lol, but its also harsh on the motor and easier to detonate and cause problems. Like when your o2's start to go... watch out dude

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99