Just venting....

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Handful of things really chapped my ass about my (new) ‘95 Cobra:

1. the Alternator: bought a nice replacement. Should be an easy swap, even with the unreasonable location of the grey electrical plug in. Two bolts, couple of wires, bada bing bada boom! But NOOO! With the bracketry for the SVO supercharger, the inboard bolt is bass-akwards! WTF? The head of the bolt is butted up/wedged between the back side of the inner most bracket and the engine block. So basically there’s no way to remove it except by removing ALL the bracketry, then remove the old alternator, balance the new one in place while simultaneously reconnecting the bracketry, put in the outboard bolt( the easy-peasy one), reconnect the grey electrical wire, then run the white wire, cut the new 4ga power wire, assemble and install it. Piece of cake, right? My question is simply: who’s the freakin genius who out the outboard bolt in backwards? Because if the head of that bolt were on the radiator side of the bracketry vs being pinned in abutting the engine block, my new alternator would be in already.

My other 2 vents you already know about: the oil pressure sending unit and the lower IAF bolt. Are ya kidding me on both accounts? There were no better alternative engineering locations for these parts (which traditionally fail I’ve come to learn very quickly) than their next-to-impossible locations??
Slap me twice and call me Mary these are frustrating as all get out.

And don’t get me restarted on the oil pan gasket. Or the shape of the oil pan itself. What’s with the forward little belly with its own drain plug? Wouldn’t a graduated, sloped angle feeding back to the one rear drain plug like 99% of drain pans gave worked just fine? And would have been able to be removed without dropping the K member or hoisting the engine? I mean really? WTF Ford engineers???

Ahhhhh... I think that’s it for now. Venting complete. For now!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Handful of things really chapped my ass about my (new) ‘95 Cobra:

1. the Alternator: bought a nice replacement. Should be an easy swap, even with the unreasonable location of the grey electrical plug in. Two bolts, couple of wires, bada bing bada boom! But NOOO! With the bracketry for the SVO supercharger, the inboard bolt is bass-akwards! WTF? The head of the bolt is butted up/wedged between the back side of the inner most bracket and the engine block. So basically there’s no way to remove it except by removing ALL the bracketry, then remove the old alternator, balance the new one in place while simultaneously reconnecting the bracketry, put in the outboard bolt( the easy-peasy one), reconnect the grey electrical wire, then run the white wire, cut the new 4ga power wire, assemble and install it. Piece of cake, right? My question is simply: who’s the freakin genius who out the outboard bolt in backwards? Because if the head of that bolt were on the radiator side of the bracketry vs being pinned in abutting the engine block, my new alternator would be in already.

My other 2 vents you already know about: the oil pressure sending unit and the lower IAF bolt. Are ya kidding me on both accounts? There were no better alternative engineering locations for these parts (which traditionally fail I’ve come to learn very quickly) than their next-to-impossible locations??
Slap me twice and call me Mary these are frustrating as all get out.

And don’t get me restarted on the oil pan gasket. Or the shape of the oil pan itself. What’s with the forward little belly with its own drain plug? Wouldn’t a graduated, sloped angle feeding back to the one rear drain plug like 99% of drain pans gave worked just fine? And would have been able to be removed without dropping the K member or hoisting the engine? I mean really? WTF Ford engineers???

Ahhhhh... I think that’s it for now. Venting complete. For now!

Our cars are relatively easy to work in compared to many many others. You just gotta be patient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Go on.... Get it out Daryl!

Get it all out! And when you do, take a deep breath and go tackle it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Adding things(supercharger) will never make it easier in the end. Looking at the pic of yours in the other post your going to have to resolve yourself to the fact that you will need to disconnect a fair amount of stuff to get it done. It sucks, we have all found ourselves at that point when it should be simple, but its not and all because of too much cool shit too close together. The stock alt could not be any easier to swap after all.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. That all helped!

Surprisingly, I’m rejuvenated and full of steam to move forward

trebor3170

Reaction score
Be glad you're not working on a Chrysler 200, where you have to remove the front bumper to change the battery.

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Be glad you're not working on a Chrysler 200, where you have to remove the front bumper to change the battery.

“Wut the.......???”That’s beyond ridiculous!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
chrysler liked to hide the batteries there for a while. Yea autozone isn't gonna swap that out in the parking lot...

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
What about the northstar v8’s in the Cadillac that you had to pull the intake manifold to change the starter. They had the starter in the valley of the engine, and it was problematic too.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, I can see that I clearly had NOTHING to bitch about compared to what most of you are tackling. I’m just gonna shut up now, put my tail between my legs and humbly accept my trophy for crybaby of the week award!

oh, and then throw that trophy in the trash and pick up a wrench again!

trebor3170

Reaction score
Ok, I can see that I clearly had NOTHING to bitch about compared to what most of you are tackling. I’m just gonna shut up now, put my tail between my legs and humbly accept my trophy for crybaby of the week award!

oh, and then throw that trophy in the trash and pick up a wrench again!
Nah, I don't have a Chrysler 200, but a guy I work with did (key word "did") and had pictures. I have a 95 GT, so I'm sure I'm going to eventually run into some of the same issues you are now. I do have a Saturn with the battery in the spare tire well, easy enough, but the parts stores won't install that one either, go figure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online