knocking?

95YellowGt

Reaction score
i have 170k on my 95 gt it appears to knock on the drivers side head and was wondering if this is a common issue for the stock heads or would the harmonic balancer cause this problem.. is there anyway to tell what is causing this?? if its idling i give it gas it starts knocking after i let off the gas and continues for about 10 seconds and stops knocking till i hit the gas again any help would be appreciated..

kyle94gt

Reaction score
I'm not sure what EXACTLY it would be due to I think it could be a handful of things but anyways.. mine had the same sort of deal and I replaced the motor mounts on each side with OEM Replacemets until I finish my 331 then I'll be going to Energy's Urethane mounts but it took away my knocking.. dunno if it helps but hey it's a shot in the hole. Hope it's nothing serious bro.. Later. :drunk:

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Is it a knock or tick. A knock would be bearings. A tick even if its loud it possibly rockers(are yours stock). Is it at the front? could be timing chain.Need more detail.

OP
OP

95YellowGt

Reaction score
it sounds more like a rocker hitting the valve cover.. i doubt its a rod bearing at all doesnt seem possible from where the noise is coming from.. so hmm

kyle94gt

Reaction score
I don't know man.. I had a 2000 Ranger with the 2.5L 4 banger and I lost a camshaft follower *similar to a rocker arm* due to the overhead cam and the way they ride. It wasn't held in place by anything except pressure and it just popped out of place during normal driving. anyways... I noticed a few months later that I thought I floated a valve or something so I pulled the head and had it rebuilt due to some tapping coming from what sounded like the top end. Come to find out that it was the bottom end actually making the tapping sound. It was kinda quiet with it idling but when you rev the motor it gains loudness as the motor gained rpm's. You may want to have a professional mechanic check it out to be sure what it is. Cause my guess is it could be a number of things that could add up in cost if you just start narrowing it down by fixing stuff. :-\

OP
OP

95YellowGt

Reaction score
i know its coming from the heads by the sound of it.. selling the car soon anyways not really worth the hassle when im working 70hrs a week and its not my dd i can always use some cash.. ill sell it for probly 1500 as is dont really care at this point need it gone someone needs to put it to use its kinda in roughf shape needs a few tweaks but it runs fine besides that lifter knock

kyle94gt

Reaction score
where are you located? If you're close enough I may be interested in buying it from you..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online