LED Exterior Swap

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
maybe he's saying the cruise won't cancel when you hit the brakes like it's supposed to. I kinda find it hard to believe it would get the reading from the tail lights though?

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
maybe he's saying the cruise won't cancel when you hit the brakes like it's supposed to. I kinda find it hard to believe it would get the reading from the tail lights though?

Yeah, I have no idea how it would affect cruise.

Can anyone else weigh in on this?
If it affects my cruise control I don't want to do it since east and north of me are straight roads, so I use cruise a lot.

samc

Reaction score
I'm saying that the cruise stopped working when I put in led brake lights, started working again when I put the incandescent bulbs back it kind of makes sense as a safety device, but I don't have detailed schematics so I don't know the details. By stopped working, I mean it wouldn't set--couldn't set a speed

Seems ms like ive read something about this elsewhere. Unexpected consequence. Interestingly, led high mount brake light does not have this effect.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could happen just like changing the lights changes how fast the flasher flashes. seems like it would work off just a traditional 12v trigger but idunno electrons are funny sometimes.

samc

Reaction score
This is with ep27 electronic flasher, which is load-independent. I bet it might not be a problem with conventional flasher and resistor load, which would simulate the incandescent filament. I'm guessing the cruise module tickles the brake light circuit with a volt or two, not enough to generate any light or heat, just like measuring resistance with a high impedance ohm meter, as a safety measure. Burnt out brake light would cause cruise to not work, alerting the tech, and maybe the driver, of the bulb failure, similar to hyper flash.

Cars used to to be simple.

joser714

Reaction score
Would that ep27 work on a new edge. I don't have leds but do have a sequential kit that obviously flashes to fast

Sent from my LG-D851

samc

Reaction score
That makes no sense. ^

not really, no. Yet that's what happened. I tried it a couple of times with three different types of LED bulbs from 3 different suppliers because I was sure it was something else. LED's in = no cruise control. LED's out = cruise control works. I did not try one LED and one incandescent per side, which might or might not work but which is kind of lame. i can sort of see it as a "safety" measure, sort of. barely. The cruise is in effect confirming that the brakes will shut it off by confirming that there are working brake lights, or something of the sort, possibly? maybe getting a ground through the brake light, so when the brake light goes high, the cruise knows the brakes are activated? If so, then a resistor to ground would fool it.

joser714; this is a new edge, the EP 27 just plugs in, once you find where they hid the OEM flasher. It's by your right knee, mine's bright yellow. I think it was about $15 from Amazon.

samc

Reaction score
Did you try a different flasher?

no. Only have two; the original and the EP27, and we already know what happens with the original; hyper flash.

So, I'm curious; y'all seem puzzled by this, but I swear I've seen mention of something like it elsewhere. Have none of you done a complete rear light swap to LEDs without the resistors? What's the deal, here? Does somebody have a different experience? It seemed simple to me;

1. buy 6 LED 3157Rs with enough light output to be seen on the moon. Don't buy them from the cheapest eBay supplier, either (tried that)
2. plug them in.

But no....

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
There is 2 people on the fb page that said there's didn't have cruise issues.

What year is your car? What taillights?

samc

Reaction score
There is 2 people on the fb page that said there's didn't have cruise issues.

What year is your car? What taillights?

there's a fb page? imagine that...

'01, stock tail lights, no aftermarket anythings. Don't remember the brand of EP 27, Triton or something like that, tried 3 different kinds of generic LEDs.

hmmmm....

samc

Reaction score
Interestinger and interestinger. A quick google search turns up similar complaints for Cameros and Hummers. Sounds like it could be year-dependent.

OP
OP
Orange 94

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looked more into it. I only see new edges having issues, which makes no sense. I found a good discussion with f-150s, some people lost cruise, some didn't when replacing the flasher module and install leds. For every problem with cruise I see, I also see someone reporting not having issues.

I wonder if there is a difference between module brands.

What about poor grounding causing loss of cruise?

samc

Reaction score
The Honda thread makes the most sense. The cruise gets its off signal when the brake lights go on, pulling the signal line high. Lights off, the signal line is grounded through the bulbs. The LEDs don't ground the signal, the resistance is too high, so the line floats. Depending on tolerance stacking, design, etc, some cruise controls will interpret this one way, others, another. It's pretty clearly a new edge problem. Very likely, the third brake light could manage to pull the signal low with incandescents, which could explain some of the variability. Another fix appears to be to use a relay to ground the signal line. A search on "cruise control LED" brings up lots of information. Apparently, it's a well documented problem. I'm pretty satisfied that I understand it now.

Reaction score
Dammit I’m having this same problem. This is actually a common issue when people would put LED third brake lights in their 4th gen camaros- guess the same problem exists here. Has anyone found a way around it? Maybe throw a resistor across one of the lights?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online