Lets see those big Brake Kits?

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
I am going to order a set of 4 or 6 piston brakes lets see some 4 or 6 piston brake kits and if you have a set please share how they feel on the street and on the track and if they eat up pads like candy. The more pics the better please just 4 or 6 piston no 2 piston cobras thanks.

hotmustang95

Reaction score
2000 Cobra R Brembos. I use regular pads for the street and race compound for the track. I've always used regular autoparts rotors for street and track so for the past few years I've been running zinc coated slotted rotors. Same quality as autoparts rotors only better being they don't rust and have the slots for track use.

OP
OP
Mrstangerbanger

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
So would you recommend the brembos because there the first chose because of price for me and there still 4 piston? But the baers and wilwoods look so mean though

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score
I'm also interested in the brembo kit made for the cobra r, has anyone used the baer 4 biston kit?

RichV

Reaction score
I run the 4 piston Wilwood setup on modified spindles. I went with it due to the ability to replace just 1 caliper if needbe ($150 from JEGS or Summit), and every brake pad company makes pads for the Wilwood Bridgebolt calipers. My track car has these, and I've been running them for 3 seasons. No regrets, they do very well on the track, pads are easy and cheap ($100-200/set depending on compound). I did have some modulation issues before I swapped out to a 94/95 Cobra MC and rear Cobra brakes. Once the MC was in, modulation is back and I have no issues outbraking lighter euro cars on track. Brake dust is something you'll have to deal with unless you go with a standard ceramic street type pad, but for aftermarket calipers they are not $30-50/set like OEM calipers. They do not eat up pads, but that's a compound choice. Mine, with race pads, outlast the OEM caliper race pads by at least 2 track weekends (I would eat through a set of pads in 3 weekends).

If you're looking to upgrade for looks, the 6 piston look cool under any wheel. You may as well bling out the rears with some matching calipers as well. Rotors you can go with a set of blanks, slotted, drilled, or go all out with a 2 piece rotor for even more street cred! As far as stopping power, can you lock up the brakes now, or get into ABS? If yes, then these won't do a whole lot for you unless you open track the car where heat management is necessary. I ran 99 11" front calipers with 98 rear GT calipers for many years on track and they did just fine with the right pads.

RichV

Reaction score
pic for attention :)

I do love the fact that you remove the 'bridgebolt' (silver allen head bolt at top of caliper), and the pads slip out the top. Pad changes are a breeze.

OP
OP
Mrstangerbanger

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
pic for attention :)

I do love the fact that you remove the 'bridgebolt' (silver allen head bolt at top of caliper), and the pads slip out the top. Pad changes are a breeze.

Yea that is just to sexy. I think its these or the baer T4s. But that price on the cobra Rs are killer for what you get. And for 1200 it comes with everything ready to bolt on. Im doing the kit because when i get on it say 2nd and 3rd gear pull and see 13psi the car does not like to stop the stock brakes are garbage and also the Shelby guys will give me shit with my tiny little brakes so need me some big boy brakes and it will make the car look so much better IMO also. If the ABS still works then the car should brake pretty hard so i cant wait.

OP
OP
Mrstangerbanger

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Do you get out on the track or are you planning on going to the track with it?

I just want them to make the car look a million times better and to be safe. The stock brakes suck and the cobra brakes are okay but me and my buddy almost got into a bad rear end situation with the cobra brakes there good but not even close to good enough and i already have all the top shit on my car might as well go all out on the brakes then its time for the dart short block and some real HP lol.

RichV

Reaction score
Yea that is just to sexy. I think its these or the baer T4s. But that price on the cobra Rs are killer for what you get. And for 1200 it comes with everything ready to bolt on. Im doing the kit because when i get on it say 2nd and 3rd gear pull and see 13psi the car does not like to stop the stock brakes are garbage and also the Shelby guys will give me shit with my tiny little brakes so need me some big boy brakes and it will make the car look so much better IMO also. If the ABS still works then the car should brake pretty hard so i cant wait.

My kit was from here:

http://store.revolutionbrake.com/

It's the 330mm (13") kit for 94-04, they have the 355mm kits but the 330 does not seem to be listed anymore. Anyway, I bet you could call them and still get one, they have the bracket kit for $300. The calipers and rotors are standard off the shelf stuff. The complete kits are $1149 shipped, I found mine used (but never installed) and got it for $700 without rotors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I just want them to make the car look a million times better and to be safe. The stock brakes suck and the cobra brakes are okay but me and my buddy almost got into a bad rear end situation with the cobra brakes there good but not even close to good enough and i already have all the top shit on my car might as well go all out on the brakes then its time for the dart short block and some real HP lol.

That is what I figured and why I asked. Any of the brands mentioned would be a huge step up from stock and buy you the respect from the Shelby guys to get them off yer back. With that being said then go with the one you like the look of the best. I guess its helpful to make for fast pad changes if you are in a race situation but......

hotmustang95

Reaction score
Forgot to add the price. The Y2K Brembos can be had for around $400. I bought mine for that with pads and I've seen another set for that price. Add some regular $80 Cobra spec rotors and you got one hell of a brake upgrade for around $500 bones.

OP
OP
Mrstangerbanger

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
That is what I figured and why I asked. Any of the brands mentioned would be a huge step up from stock and buy you the respect from the Shelby guys to get them off yer back. With that being said then go with the one you like the look of the best. I guess its helpful to make for fast pad changes if you are in a race situation but......

Im drag racing 2 of the Shelby guys. One has a gt350 not stock on street tires and the other is a Shelby GT with kenne bell with AOD on street tires also. All have slicks with a little over 500rwhp 3300 lbs so im lighter and will have a 2 step at 4 grand. I just hope i dont break something lol. Also I pray my new roll bar comes in before Aug 7th.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
How did I miss this?! I love picture whoring my brakes... 14" revolution BBK utilizing wilwood calipers. $900 all said and done.

20150219_173649_zps458a82ec.jpg

20150219_172644_zps882d3937.jpg

RichV

Reaction score
^Must be just the pic, but the calipers don't look centered.

OP
OP
Mrstangerbanger

Mrstangerbanger

Reaction score
Im going with the wilwood or the baer 4 piston brakes. I stopped the order on the Brembo's they are black and wont show with my car like i want so going to order the chrome or silver baer brakes for my car. Then in the back all just upgrade the rotors and pads to something better and it will look stupid clean.

I just did a new Stingray Vett today and he had 4 piston 13.5 inch rotors and they where amazing and made the car. So that is the main reason I'm getting the BBK is it makes the car just like the wheels do IMO. I want my car to be one bad ***** and with 4 or maybe 6 piston front brakes it will be trust me. I have some amazing plans for this car.

I have spent so much time waiting for my paint to be done.Then with the cars interior and a upgraded big brake kit then a shaved motor with 363 the car will be a show stopping machine but might also go with a 04 cobra conversion to bring value of the car up but will see.

BEFORE BEFORE BEFORE...
20150731_093039.jpg

20150731_093047.jpg

20150731_093127.jpg

20150731_093059.jpg

AFTER AFTER AFTER..
20150731_111816.jpg

20150731_1422570.jpg

20150731_1423020.jpg

20150731_143328.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads