lifter slightly damaged. whats my move?

Reaction score
95gt
so while i have the cylinder head off, i couldnt resist looking at the lifters. i noticed one of the rollers on one of the lifters is out of round. its not flat by any means, but looking closely at it and spinning it, i can see its not perfectly round any more. the cam lobe didnt look damaged, but i am looking down the lifter hole with a flashlight and i dont really know what im doing anyway, so who knows.
can i replace just one lifter, or would i need to buy a whole new set?
if i replace one or all of them, is there anything else i need to replace? (please dont say cam)
thanks in advance

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Check all the lobes on the cam. Stick a new set of lifters in it. Be done with it. Otherwise you'll have my voice of reason echoing in the back of your head the whole time you snatch it all apart to fix it again.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Check all the lobes on the cam. Stick a new set of lifters in it. Be done with it. Otherwise you'll have my voice of reason echoing in the back of your head the whole time you snatch it all apart to fix it again.
hopefully checking the lobes looking down through the lifter holes is sufficient? im just looking for marks of some sort, yes?
thanks

Steven

Legend
Reaction score
Look for extreme discoloration. If you're unsure report back with some pictures. The big thing is making sure the bottom lobes (the rollers) are still mostly smooth and not all jacked up. Also, make sure those are still round

RichV

Reaction score
Take a pic of what you're looking at. And what don't look right.

You can replace just one, but how did it get that way is the question.

OP
OP

Reaction score
Look for extreme discoloration. If you're unsure report back with some pictures. The big thing is making sure the bottom lobes (the rollers) are still mostly smooth and not all jacked up. Also, make sure those are still round
i checked every cam lobe and didnt notice any discoloration. will check again though between now and saturday. hopefully tomorrow. the lifter rollers are all smooth, no marks at all, just the one is slightly out of round.

looks like i can replace all the lifters for $125 (stock)
i may just do that.

does anybody know if theres any markings on the lifters that can distinguish whether whats in there now is stock or not? lots of things got changed on this engine and i really dont recall if the lifters were changed at some point. looking at the pics on jegs/summit, they look to be stock though

OP
OP

Reaction score
Take a pic of what you're looking at. And what don't look right.

You can replace just one, but how did it get that way is the question.
that is a good question, and way beyond anything i can figure out.
at one point the car had a supercharger, and probably stock lifters, maybe that has something to do with it?

RichV

Reaction score
An s/c and stock lifters are fine. Get the OE Ford ones if you're going to replace. I'll be doing mine in the off season as well.

OP
OP

Reaction score
update:
so today i pulled the damaged lifter out and felt the cam lobe. it is definitely worn (due to the roller i assume). theres a distinct channel (not visible from above through the lifter hole, just from feeling it) in the lobe the width of the roller.
i felt another lobe and noticed some roughness.
cam probably (probably? lol) needs to be replaced.
however, i dont know how much i care about the cam situation really. as long as i get the engine back together and it runs, i will be happy.
i do realize how dumb it would be to get this far and not change the cam.
probably the end result once the car is back together is the car gets sold, so i will have to consider that in deciding whether i want to swap the cam out with winter fast approaching

RichV

Reaction score
Depending on how bad it is. I have a cam in my 94 that a lifter locked up on. It left a little mark, but I just filed and sanded it smooth. It's a roller, so as long as the surface is smooth you should be ok. But without seeing it, it's hard to judge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAR_19

Members online