long tubes

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
suggestions on long tubes for 2004 cobra motor?

i wanted the SLPs to match up with my SLP mid pipe, **BUT** it looks like ill be doing a custom mid-pipe, now.

so, any suggestions?

requirements:
has to fit 2004 cobra heads.
has to fit OEM k-member.
has to be ceramic coated.
has to be long tubes.
has to have/be compatible with OEM emissions equipment.

thanks all!
Chris
:notworthy:

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
yea? i figured would could make the midpipe to match the headers kinda thing... depending on the collectors on the LTs.

is that a no-go?

stephen4036

Reaction score
ok? I found BBK LT's with a black coating and matching X pipe for 400 to my door but bought a TV instead lol.

Are you looking for a 2 piece of header (steering shaft side) or one piece?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i dono... these are the reasons why i started the thread. lol.

i have solid motor mounts (MM) and a solid steering shaft (MM) and MM said that i should keep that in mind if i go with long tube headers.

I want to avoid MAC and BBK exhaust components... anything else is fine, SLP, Kooks, Hooker, whatever...

what do you suggest?

stephen4036

Reaction score
not sure why your avoiding BBK and MAC?

Im never used mac except for a catback and it was sexy.. and my 2v BBK Longtubes and X looked like tits and never leaked...

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
my friend has LTs on his 2003 V6 mustang from MAC. they leak.

Mikey (on this site) has BBK LTs and they put the welds on the inside of the tubes for cosmetic reasons, but obviously reduces flow.

stephen4036

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
my friend has LTs on his 2003 V6 mustang from MAC. they leak.

Mikey (on this site) has BBK LTs and they put the welds on the inside of the tubes for cosmetic reasons, but obviously reduces flow.

he probably dont put them on the v6 right :/

plus its a v6.. who curs...

as for the welds I dont remember, but as for slow your not pushing 40psi sir.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
maybe... he has a fully built, forged, and balanced V6... so he didnt exactly buy bottom-of-the-line junk... ya know?

just rather spend more money now to avoid a headache and shipping charges when i send their garbage products back, ya know?

I had my hopes up for SLP, but thats just too expensive of a pill to swallow.

pp_puncher

Reaction score
chris MAC makes great products, and it is a common practice to weld on the inside, not only fro cosmetics, but to ensure a solid weld and bolt access from the outside. And I agree with stephen on the v6. I have heard great things about stainless works and kooks, but I would NEVER pay what they are asking, to me MAC ceramic coated are the best deal all around.

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
if i take your advice... and order mac headers... and they leak.... im going to pull them off, make pipe bombs out of them, and mail them to you two.... lol. i can imagine how angry i would get if i had leaky headers on a 4v swap.... ill be installing them outside the car, mind you... so install will be flawlessly performed. any leaks will be due to a bad product...

and im the type of guy whos always happy... and when i get angry i just hold it in... and then one day i snap.... leaky headers on a 4v would certainly make me snap.... lol.

no other suggestions other than mac or bbk? what was this chat about 2 pc headers on the drivers side. are those better/worse?

stephen4036

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
if i take your advice... and order mac headers... and they leak.... im going to pull them off, make pipe bombs out of them, and mail them to you two.... lol. i can imagine how angry i would get if i had leaky headers on a 4v swap.... ill be installing them outside the car, mind you... so install will be flawlessly performed. any leaks will be due to a bad product...

ill take the driver side, kthx
and im the type of guy whos always happy... and when i get angry i just hold it in... and then one day i snap.... leaky headers on a 4v would certainly make me snap.... lol.

no other suggestions other than mac or bbk? what was this chat about 2 pc headers on the drivers side. are those better/worse?

pp_puncher

Reaction score
Worse, those are slip fit, and they will snap...I mean leak.
I had a leak on my headers, but only b/c I tried to re-use the stock hardware, and I did them with the engine in. I even re-used the stock gaskets.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
id personally go with kooks. kooks makes the x pipe for them that have the cats. either way you will have to get o2 extenders. ive always seem to find that u get what you pay for... and kooks makes some bad ass headers and from your plans you might want to invest in some of these http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=74 or http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=64 then reduce it down to 3" and make an x pipe with high flow cats or get their 3 inch x with cats. these will allow some serious power. which u will make with ur future KB 2.8. just my 2 cents

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
pp_puncher said:
I had a leak on my headers, but only b/c I tried to re-use the stock hardware, and I did them with the engine in. I even re-used the stock gaskets.
yea? maybe ill avoid those as well. lol. although, id never re use gaskets :p

96_SVT_Cobra said:
id personally go with kooks. kooks makes the x pipe for them that have the cats. either way you will have to get o2 extenders. ive always seem to find that u get what you pay for... and kooks makes some bad a*s headers and from your plans you might want to invest in some of these http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=74 or http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=64 then reduce it down to 3" and make an x pipe with high flow cats or get their 3 inch x with cats. these will allow some serious power. which u will make with ur future KB 2.8. just my 2 cents

nice... will those be too much flow for my current set up? rob velocity?

OP
OP
MustangChris

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Buster. ill look into those as well, if this sale on a set of used Kooks doesnt pan out.

switch96

Reaction score
I don't know what you mean by leaks, but aftermarket headers often need to be retightened after a few hundered miles as they go through heat cycles and try to mate to the head. Luckily I haven't had to do so with my Flowtechs, but my buddy has Edelbrocks on his LT1 that we had to retighten. Can't hardly make an argument against a company like Edelbrock, it's just how it goes sometimes!

Hoseitdown

Reaction score
MustangChris said:
pp_puncher said:
yea? maybe ill avoid those as well. lol. although, id never re use gaskets :p

96_SVT_Cobra said:
id personally go with kooks. kooks makes the x pipe for them that have the cats. either way you will have to get o2 extenders. ive always seem to find that u get what you pay for... and kooks makes some bad a*s headers and from your plans you might want to invest in some of these http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=74 or http://www.kookscustomheaders.com/show.php?pid=64 then reduce it down to 3" and make an x pipe with high flow cats or get their 3 inch x with cats. these will allow some serious power. which u will make with ur future KB 2.8. just my 2 cents

nice... will those be too much flow for my current set up? rob velocity?

Not if you put a KB on it... :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robtalbott