looking at a 96 Cobra....looking for opinions....

Magic

Reaction score
There is a 96 Cobra for sale near me.

White on Black Leather
96K Miles

The Good:
Nice looking car
S-281 wing
Has some mods done (Flowmaster catback, BBK LTs, BBK off road H-pipe), Might have gears, MSD Coil Pack, BBK Cold Air intake
Chrome 17" Cobra R replica wheels.

The not so good:
*Was involved in a front end collision a few years ago. Seems to be a good repair. But from what I inspected it seems the hood, front clip, rad support and fenders were replaced.
*Pitting on the chrome cobra R wheels (will definately have to get them refurbished or replace them)
*Was winter driven for a cpl years (so some surface rust on the under-body, doesnt seem like it has ever been oil sprayed)
*Throw-out bearing seems to be on its way out
*Engine has a ticking noise (my guess its a lifter)
*The harmonic balancer pulley seems odd....(almost looks like an 03/04 Cobra pulley) which is making me question this motors past life...
*Right-side fender needs a re-alignment, cant open the passenger door
*Passenger side cylinder head spit out a spark plug some months back and was repaired (This repair was done at the shop I work at, and was done with a time-sert repair)

Owner is ok for letting it go for $7,000 CDN....but I think it can be sold for less.....

My question to you folks is....A) is this car worth it or worth a lower $ amount (I definately think its worth much lower than $7K)? Or it this car a lemon (based on the not so good qualities) and I should be shot for even thinking about?

I myself am leaning towards option B. But would like your opinions.

Danimal

Reaction score
What are you looking for?

If you're after a daily driver or something you don't plan on modifying much, stay away. The car sounds like it could possibly need some work and could be hiding some issues.

If you're after a base for a heavily modified car (redoing/replacing drivetrain) then talk him down in price and be sure its a worthy chassis.

If it were me, I'd move along. For just a few thousand more, you can find a vehicle that hasn't been wrecked/thrashed and driven in Canadian winters.

My '96 had lowish miles, 9.5/10 paint, was babied from day 1 and had tons of mods. I picked it up for $8k USD.

-Dan

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I think im going to stay away from this one...and find something more decent!

IMPORTKILLER

Reaction score
I agree with them. Stay away. There are too many other clean mustangs without these issues for just a tad more. Just think...........
everything that you see wrong is something you will have to deal with and that takes time. Time to earn the cash and then time to fix er up.
As a rule of thumb .....for me I always look for a real clean car driven in the south or west so I dont have to waste time & money dealing with rust
and body damage. I can instead put the money to performance parts. Dont let miles scare you. I would take high miles and good cond. over low miles
rough condition. Chances are you are going to want to build your motor /drivetrain someday anyway. Good Luck. :thumb:

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Walk away. For every one thing you find wrong, there is at least one thing you don't see.

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
appreciate the replies folks!
Im definately keeping away from this one. Going to hold out for a little while longer and find something more decent, while I get my life organized in the meantime.....(leaving my current job in a cpl weeks, swtiching 'careers', havent found a new job yet, but looking....)

Thanks again!

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Magic said:
appreciate the replies folks!
Im definately keeping away from this one. Going to hold out for a little while longer and find something more decent, while I get my life organized in the meantime.....(leaving my current job in a cpl weeks, swtiching 'careers', havent found a new job yet, but looking....)

Thanks again!

you will be able to find one in GREAT shape just like you want it..............all you have to do is have patience and wait

Reaction score
Absolutely. The wait is a killer... but some real gems still exist.. search long and hard and you will be rewarded.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Green SVT Convertible said:
Absolutely. The wait is a killer... but some real gems still exist.. search long and hard and you will be rewarded.

im using that logic in my search for a fox body coupe :angel:

Reaction score
Snakebit said:

Well.. then if it's a FOX.. I might add that you make out weekly payments to your local Church... You're going to need all the help you can get. :angel:

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
Snakebit said:

Well.. then if it's a FOX.. I might add that you make out weekly payments to your local Church... You're going to need all the help you can get. :angel:

:rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:

:-\ :-\

OP
OP
Magic

Magic

Reaction score
Snakebit said:
you will be able to find one in GREAT shape just like you want it..............all you have to do is have patience and wait

well I have been waiting for over 6 years now.....oh well whats a little while longer.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online