Looking to clean my engine bay

eman11500

Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a thread on this or not yet, but my engine bay (pictured below) still has the oil from the past 140k all grimed up in it. I took a rag to a few parts, but there's still a lot on it. I have access to a pressure washer and was wondering what I would need to do to pressure wash the engine. Is there areas I need to tape off, put bags over, not go near, etc..?
Any Information in regards to the process would help a lot! :grin:

20130912_1814411_zps219364e1.jpg

99GreenStang

Reaction score
If it were me you really arent going to get it looking amazing unless you remove alot of stuff and clean it BUT ! DONT LOSE HOPE! if you can get ahold of a hot water pressure washer one of them you can put detergents in and put some quality soap in it and maybe spray some Engine Brite degreaser the foam kind and I would say it would look pretty good . I believe you can rent those hot water pressure washers might have to check in to someone in your area . Just watch spraying the engine brite on your warning label stickers its really strong and will take the writing off lol . Tape a trashbag around your coils and throttle body and any other electrical connections that may or could be bothered I would also remove your air filter housing to gain access to more of your engine bay . Hope I helped !

joekd

Reaction score
Why pressure wash at all? Just use degreaser, a stiff brush and a little bit of elbow grease

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
Why pressure wash at all? Just use degreaser, a stiff brush and a little bit of elbow grease

This. It doesn't take a lot to get the engine bay clean. Just some time and the right tools.

1) Cover your alternator, fuse box, and CAI with a plastic bag
2) Soak the engine bay in a degreaser. If there is a lot of built up gunk you can always run the engine for a little before you start to help the gunk to losen up
3) Use a brush to agitate the build up
4) Then carefully spray down the engine bay with a hose
5) You can then use either a towel or air tool to get the excess water
6) Apply a dressing to plastic parts for shine

Brian95SVT

Legend
Reaction score
My secret weapon for this, leaf blower. Works fantastic.

Haha. I've seen people do that and it definitely works!! We have an air tool we use to get the excess water out. I will have to try the leaf blower once but we have the backpack style for my fathers business.

cobraracer46

Reaction score
My weapon of choice for cleaning the engine bay: Simple green HD
51cQ4SyD0eL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The results speak for themselves
9353705395_edf6664968_b.jpg

99GreenStang

Reaction score
the hot water pressure washer one you can add cleaners into will work better than any of you can imagine and it takes the so called elbow grease out of it and yes one of my friends used to wash his car and use the backpack style leaf blower on it to keep water spots from appearing and it worked lol looked like jimmy neutron though haa.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stillridin

Members online