Ls vs mod motors

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
The Ford mod motor is the supercar Koenigseggs 900hp power plant! .....Dag on chevy people! What milk jug did "you people" drink from anyhow? (I just kidding)

The venom GT also makes 1200 hp with a factory LS9 block in place....

Honestly, the reason LS swaps are popular is cost, simple as that.

Junkyard 4.8s, 5.3s out of trucks are plentiful, cheap as shit, and have been proven to handle 6-7-800 hp pretty reliably.

Sure you can do the same thing with a mod motor, but the cost to build a good mod motor after heads, cams, bottom end, intake manifold,you can be into it for 10+K

Coyotes are awesome, but the swaps still cost like 10k+ last I checked

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Once the Coyotes become more plentiful in the boneyards then a lot of the LS swap talk will die down since the cost factor will be reduced.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Once the Coyotes become more plentiful in the boneyards then a lot of the LS swap talk will die down since the cost factor will be reduced.

Yea, I agree, that could be a possibility in the future but as of now they seem to still bring some good money at the junkyard even.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just like the LS, once the trucks with the 5.0's start filling up the yards but not for a few more years.

Demand is still high so the few that do get scrapped are parted quickly.

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
Yea, good point. I guess the truck 5.0 is essentially the same exact motor? Different intake manifold?

torch318

Reaction score
Why don't more people do 3v swaps? You can find those motors for under $2k now and they will make around 330 with just cams and bolt ons. It was one of the options I looked at before going with a built longblock untill i found out my blower wasn t compatible and wasn't able to find out if my hood would work for sure.

JKady

Reaction score
Why don't more people do 3v swaps? You can find those motors for under $2k now and they will make around 330 with just cams and bolt ons. It was one of the options I looked at before going with a built longblock untill i found out my blower wasn t compatible and wasn't able to find out if my hood would work for sure.
Cause someone on the internet hasn't laid it out in a nice step by step fashion. People are so hung up on putting used Tahoe engines in everything that anything else just kinda falls by the wayside.

I considered a 4.8/5.3 for my car at one point but I don't strictly drag race so I want 3 pedals, getting a solid trans behind one is another 2500+ all said and done, on top of swap headers/pan/mounts and fuel system changes to get it going, cooling system etc... It's more than just a 500 dollar engine to get one up and running. All in all, the cost ended up being way more than making my 5.0 put out similar power.

torch318

Reaction score
Cause someone on the internet hasn't laid it out in a nice step by step fashion. People are so hung up on putting used Tahoe engines in everything that anything else just kinda falls by the wayside.

I considered a 4.8/5.3 for my car at one point but I don't strictly drag race so I want 3 pedals, getting a solid trans behind one is another 2500+ all said and done, on top of swap headers/pan/mounts and fuel system changes to get it going, cooling system etc... It's more than just a 500 dollar engine to get one up and running. All in all, the cost ended up being way more than making my 5.0 put out similar power.
http://www.loganmotorsports.com/2V_to_3V_conversion.html
The parts in the kit look like commonly available parts and I would think one could piece it together for less than that.

Carnage281

Reaction score
Lol ford modulars can't keep up with 2jz's and ls's at tx2k. Not a very accurate statement imo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online