Mach rear speaker box

J_lope82

Reaction score
Found a Mach rear speaker box on marketplace. Will this fit my 96 gt that came without the Mach stereo system. I currently have a aftermarket single din but will eventually upgrade to a double din. What all mods do I need to do to make it work. Just looking for a little improvement on the audio system. CD82491C-C10B-4556-8B73-A6C3AE8AFBF1.jpeg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it will fit, but you would need to get the wiring harness that comes with the car to get it to work. I would not recommend it as the mach amps are known for little more than killing batteries.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
I was thinking upgrading the speakers on the box and wiring them straight to the aftermarket double din without amp.
I have experienced reasonably good sound running the newer pioneer double Dins straight to Memphis 2 way speakers but wasn’t sure if that would work.

I don’t want a box in my trunk. Not yet at least lol.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It will help some speakers get a little more bass out of them if that is all you want and do not want a box. You would probably get more/better sound/bass out of a small powered sub but I can understand people don't like the box.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
The Mach speaker box is really cheap that’s why I was considering it. Haven’t bought it yet. Just wondering if it was a lot of work to get it to fit or the wiring would be impossible.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
if there are the studs hanging down from the rear deck then it should bolt right in but I am not sure if they are there on every car or not(I would think so but ya never know). Install will be a little more difficult as you have to hold it while you tighten the nuts down but maybe if you can find some boxes/books/what ever to hold it up while you do it it might not be too bad. I have only removed them.

As for wiring there are two harnesses on each side with two wires each, one harness for the tweeter one for the woofer.

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
Right now the speakers I have are aftermarket and when turned up they just clap a whole lot. Zero bass

OP
OP
J_lope82

J_lope82

Reaction score
if there are the studs hanging down from the rear deck then it should bolt right in but I am not sure if they are there on every car or not(I would think so but ya never know). Install will be a little more difficult as you have to hold it while you tighten the nuts down but maybe if you can find some boxes/books/what ever to hold it up while you do it it might not be too bad. I have only removed them.

As for wiring there are two harnesses on each side with two wires each, one harness for the tweeter one for the woofer.
this guides me thank you.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think you will need to remove the rear deck to remove the old speakers, but after that everything is done from the bottom/in the trunk.

shovel

Reaction score
Does the top cover on the inside of the car remain the same?

Yes you can use the same top cover, the bulges on the Mach equipped cars were purely cosmetic.
When you install/remove the box you need to remove the deck cover. Do not try to remove the deck cover without first removing at least one side panel.
Disconnect your rear window defroster so you don't knock the tab off, then remove the side trim (the plastic around your rear window), then remove the deck cover panel. If you try to shortcut it you have about a 90% or better chance of cracking your deck cover and the fiber "explodes" where it cracks so you can't just smash it back together and paint it.
Wiring is easy, and you can just leave the tweeters in place as a means of corking the holes they were in, or make covers out of plastic if you prefer. You probably won't be reusing any of the speakers unless you feel like making your own passive crossovers... which isn't a bad idea, just I doubt you'd be asking this question if that was something you plan to do.

U1aDTRw5Y72WfCX6QA1NkOxQ=w2287-h1286-no?authuser=0.jpg

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
actually the bulges on the top of the mach cover were added to give a little extra room for the tweeter to play through which is why I asked. Now in the pic shown above if you do not use the tweeter locations and get a speaker with the tweeter built in(like shown), then it will not matter. If you go with component speakers with an external tweeter and put the tweeter in the stock location on the box it will be playing directly into the rear deck cover in a portion that is not perforated to allow the sound to go through so you probably will not hear them. You could always put them on top of the cover or as shown just get speakers with the tweeters integrated into them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online

Members online