Manual Swap- Help me

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
So this part of my project has been a few months in the making, but I've found someone who's willing to do my trans swap for me for under a grand if I show up parts in hand. (Friend that let me convince him, I'd do it myself but I don't have a lift and I'm not going to do it on jackstands.) all that aside, I now have to get all the parts. So, I'm sure there's at least a few of y'all here who've done this before, so I came here. Some info: Its a 94 GT, currently auto, droptop. I'm looking for, any helpful info that I could pass along to my buddy, as well as a list of everything that's needed for this massive project. I have heard of the difficulty of finding the actual transmission, I found one on Rockauto for a grand(ish). A lot of different resources recommend different things as well, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm even looking for in this situation. Any help, advice, or helpful articles off other websites would be nice, but I would like to find lists of what is needed as well if anyone has those. Thank you!

Wmac

Reaction score
I have collected all the parts for a swap, but waiting for the aode to die first. Not a young person, so will take me much longer than most would expect.

There are some very good threads on stangnet, suggest that you review those. Trans should be from an sn95 (even the v6 trans will work), fox trans has a shorter input shaft, different bell and fork. This can cause issues, so be aware.

94/95 bell is marked with a 5.0 on the top. It may be difficult to find one.

I have 2k plus (cdn) in all my parts collection, most items are new, rebuilt the trans myself. Don't forget that you will need either a T4M0 or J4J1 pcm. 5speed trans harness is not a must, auto harness can be modified.

The 5spd cars have a "hump" spotwelded to the floor that the auto cars don't have, so the shifter will likely sit lower and cause the shifter boot to eventually rip.

Almost forgot, you will need a 5spd pedal box. Not 100% sure, but think that maybe any manual sn95 or new edge box will work ok.

I may have a rough list somewhere that I can post if needed.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I have collected all the parts for a swap, but waiting for the aode to die first. Not a young person, so will take me much longer than most would expect.

There are some very good threads on stangnet, suggest that you review those. Trans should be from an sn95 (even the v6 trans will work), fox trans has a shorter input shaft, different bell and fork. This can cause issues, so be aware.

94/95 bell is marked with a 5.0 on the top. It may be difficult to find one.

I have 2k plus (cdn) in all my parts collection, most items are new, rebuilt the trans myself. Don't forget that you will need either a T4M0 or J4J1 pcm. 5speed trans harness is not a must, auto harness can be modified.

The 5spd cars have a "hump" spotwelded to the floor that the auto cars don't have, so the shifter will likely sit lower and cause the shifter boot to eventually rip.

Almost forgot, you will need a 5spd pedal box. Not 100% sure, but think that maybe any manual sn95 or new edge box will work ok.

I may have a rough list somewhere that I can post if needed.
A rough list could help a lot. Thank you for the info! Right now I'm just collecting all the info that I can. I'm not sure of the website, but I've heard people sell full conversion kits. I might be checking that out.

Wmac

Reaction score
I do have a somewhat detailed list that I will post later today. In the mean time, can I ask you your objectives? Just want to bang some gears around town? Have a desire to run some times at the local track? Interest in autocross (or whatever they call it)?

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I do have a somewhat detailed list that I will post later today. In the mean time, can I ask you your objectives? Just want to bang some gears around town? Have a desire to run some times at the local track? Interest in autocross (or whatever they call it)?

I'm rebuilding it to be a daily as of right now, but eventually I might take it to the track. For now it's stock, with plans to keep it mostly stock. Some highway zooms are probably the most it's gonna see.

Wmac

Reaction score
Great, my list is for a mostly stock conversion to a T5 swap. I bought many new parts as I collected things over many years and local access to used items is very limited. Where you are located, you may find nearly everything close by. Swap meets, bone yards, craigslist, etc.

Flywheel................ frpp # m-6375-b302
Clutch assy.............frpp # m-7560-a302n (includes a thro-out bearing)
Block plate .............frpp # m-7007-b
Pilot bearing ,,,,,,,....frpp # m-7600-a
Clutch fork ..............frpp # m-7515 -a
Flywheel bolts ..........frpp # m-4216-a210
Pressure plate bolts...frpp # m-6397-a302
Shift boot plate ........ford # 3r3z-7277-aa
Shifter ....................your choice ( I have frpp # m-7210-m)
Clutch cable..............your choice ( I strongly suggest the maximum motorsports kit with cable, firewall adjuster and alum quadrant # mmcp-51)

Above are the major items, I will check my stash for the small items that are needed and what to look out for with regards to buying used items.

Wmac

Reaction score
Small but needed items. LMR has nearly everything, some items are costly.

Reverse light pigtail .....LRS-8693nsm (not needed if you find a T5 harness)
"C" clip for clutch cable ... check LMR
Shifter boot ................LRS-7277f (very nice leather boot)
Trans to bell bolts ........ m12 x 1.75 x 40mm.... x 4of
Bell to engine bolts....... 7/16 - 14 x 2" ..... x 6of
3/8 -16 x 1.5" ..... x 2of
5/16 - 18 x 3/4" .. x 2of

There is an exhaust hangar plate between the trans mount and trans. The T5 plate is slightly different than the aode plate.
The are 4 bolts and tinnerman clips that bolt the shifter boot plate to the trans tunnel. Not sure of size, probably m6 x 25mm (approx)
If you ever expect to run some times, you will probably need a driveshaft safety loop. Now would be the time to get one. I have a Lakewood. Very good piece.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Thank you so much! I've found some conversion kits online, but a full kit (with a rebuilt/ upgraded T5) comes to about 3500, so a little out of my budget. Current plan is to look around for a bit as people are always selling these cars barely running around here for cheap. If in a few weeks nothing under 2k with a functional trans comes up then I'll probably start collecting parts where I can. That list is going to come in really handy no matter what route I take!

Wmac

Reaction score
Well, here's some more ammo for you.

- if you can find a 94/95 5 litre donor for cheap, grab it like yesterday. It will have pedal box, pcm, trans harness, tunnel hump, clutch cable, bell, trans and maybe a decent block to f... with. Plus a spare 8.8 with trac-loc, axles. The list goes on and on. Strip it then junk it. lol

- if you come across a stand alone trans, check for the tag bolted to the case and check the #'s. If not there, then chances someone has opened it. If you see silicone caulk anywhere, then its been opened. Why is the question? Will it shift smoothly thru all the gears? Is there any play in and out on the input shaft? Some radial play is normal.

- if in doubt, start negotiating. It can get very expensive to rebuild if its trash. Best to look inside to see if there is any chipped teeth, badly worn dog teeth and any junk on the magnet at the bottom.

Everything is a crap shoot as these trans are now 25+ yrs old. But with due diligence, you just might find one that suits your needs. I bought my trans and bell for 150 cdn about 6 yrs ago. The guy was hard-up needing cash, 5th gear was an issue and that was what I needed for a bargaining lever. It was not in too bad a shape when I opened it up.

The T5 is very easy to rebuild, lots of info on the tube. Mine now shifts like butter on the workbench. Someday I will find out. Someday.

Everyone is here to help you in your search. Have some fun in the junkyard. Never know what you may find.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
Well, here's some more ammo for you.

- if you can find a 94/95 5 litre donor for cheap, grab it like yesterday. It will have pedal box, pcm, trans harness, tunnel hump, clutch cable, bell, trans and maybe a decent block to f... with. Plus a spare 8.8 with trac-loc, axles. The list goes on and on. Strip it then junk it. lol

- if you come across a stand alone trans, check for the tag bolted to the case and check the #'s. If not there, then chances someone has opened it. If you see silicone caulk anywhere, then its been opened. Why is the question? Will it shift smoothly thru all the gears? Is there any play in and out on the input shaft? Some radial play is normal.

- if in doubt, start negotiating. It can get very expensive to rebuild if its trash. Best to look inside to see if there is any chipped teeth, badly worn dog teeth and any junk on the magnet at the bottom.

Everything is a crap shoot as these trans are now 25+ yrs old. But with due diligence, you just might find one that suits your needs. I bought my trans and bell for 150 cdn about 6 yrs ago. The guy was hard-up needing cash, 5th gear was an issue and that was what I needed for a bargaining lever. It was not in too bad a shape when I opened it up.

The T5 is very easy to rebuild, lots of info on the tube. Mine now shifts like butter on the workbench. Someday I will find out. Someday.

Everyone is here to help you in your search. Have some fun in the junkyard. Never know what you may find.

Ah if only I could find 94/95 in junkyards around here. I almost snagged a 94 that was in perfect running condition (better than mine) for 1200 just because it had a broken steering column, but someone got there first. I've got a v6 parts car that I've been trying to get rid of since I've stripped most of what I need, but I haven't hit the post count here to see if anyone needs anything before it gets scrapped. I haven't gotten around to towing it for scrap yet either. A v8 parts car would be amazing but its just a matter of searching til I find one that's both manual AND a 5.0.

Wmac

Reaction score
I hear ya. But keep your eyes and ears open, may find someone that wants to get ride of a "junker" rather than get nothing from a salvager. And I would not overlook a V6 trans. Its still a T5, will bolt right up to the proper bell and if nothing else, can be a spare or parts trans. I'm just not sure if a v6 bell bolts to a v8 block.
94/95 v8 bell fork opening is at the 7 o'clock position. Fox bell is at the 9 o'clock position and is shorter in depth.
If in doubt about anything, someone here may have an answer for you.

Good luck with your search.

One other thing. You have several trans parts business in Tx. So internal parts are available if you need them.

OP
OP
Blueraz_5.0

Blueraz_5.0

Reaction score
I hear ya. But keep your eyes and ears open, may find someone that wants to get ride of a "junker" rather than get nothing from a salvager. And I would not overlook a V6 trans. Its still a T5, will bolt right up to the proper bell and if nothing else, can be a spare or parts trans. I'm just not sure if a v6 bell bolts to a v8 block.
94/95 v8 bell fork opening is at the 7 o'clock position. Fox bell is at the 9 o'clock position and is shorter in depth.
If in doubt about anything, someone here may have an answer for you.

Good luck with your search.

One other thing. You have several trans parts business in Tx. So internal parts are available if you need them.
Ahh I wish the v6 would solve more issues instead of illegally sitting in my back yard- its also an auto, and since we cant get the damn thing running, with no interior isn't not gonna do much good. body panels have a few dents on the major ones too, so cant get that, and I'm eventually ripping the droptop for my car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online