may be buying a 97 cobra, had some questions

ponyboy88

Reaction score
Im looking at a 97 cobra, and it has a decent amount of work done to it, the motor was replaced a couple of years ago (stock replacement) and has about 35k on it.

If i were to go with a V2 S trim from vortech, what kind of power should i expect, usual upgrades as well (exhaust, boost-a-pump, bigger maf and power pipe)

Also, would i be safe running around 10psi with the stock (non forged) pistons

KWClutch

Reaction score
No. If I were you I'd get a Cobra with a built motor. The 96-98 motors pop around 400hp MOST of the time. If you have the money to build the motor then so be it. The market is down right now and you can find built cars for around 8-9k.

switch96

Reaction score
Is there something specific that makes them fail at 400hp? That just seems awfully low to me.

KWClutch

Reaction score
Rods and or rod bearings. Mine popped at 85k miles with a stock motor. I'm not saying all of them however. I know of a few that have lasted a while with power adders but EVERY Cobra that I know in my city either popped a rod bearing very close to 100k miles or had a power adder. If you buy a 96-98 Cobra...(which I obviously love seeing how I own one) you need to make sure you have the money in the bank to rebuild the motor if it goes. Great blocks but horrible internals.

BMOREstang

Reaction score
+1 to what KWClutch said, but the pistons and conrods are also guilty culprits when it comes to the non-forged cobra mod motors blowing up. Their rated to about 450 then they too start to give up.