MGW is installed but..........

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twista, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Twista

Twista Legend

I read it was alot quieter than the stock shifter. Its actually abit louder than the stock i think. Because you can hear each shift lock into place (no its not hitting the stop) on each shift.

But.. :rolleyes: its not such a big deal like most people make it out to be. I mean its alot shorter, but whats the big deal? Not this mention this project cost me $22 dollars which was my fault. I drained the cars battery by keeping the inside lights (plus a extra light) on while installing this bitch. Started @ 6pm and finished @ 11pm.. thats all including the trips to the auto store to get a 10mm socket and sometime later after i drained the battery i had to run to kmart and get some jumper cables. ROFL. Anyways heres before and after picture.
    [​IMG]

and after
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ROFL, i made a U-Turn in the middle of the (empty) street to turn around but i actually was stuck in the middle of the street for maybe 15 seconds because i couldn't find the reverse gear. It was actually abit closer which confused the freak out of me.

2. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

so are you happy with it other than the stuck in the road part :rollinglaugh: :rollinglaugh:?

3. 19mustang95

19mustang95 Legend

you dont seem that excited about it, and i have heard that MGW is the best nad you sound like it did nothing...as soon as i put in my tri-ax, it was like night and day when shifting...

4. Lightning Struck

Lightning Struck Legend

me too, I have the Tri-ax also :drunk:

5. Twista

Twista Legend

Well, the stock shifter wasn't much of a problem for me. I mean the shifts are alot shorter, but when is it going to be useful? When racing or what?? (which i dont do after having a scary experience)i just did acouple 1-3 shifts for maybe 4 minutes so thats why im not getting the [night/day] effect thats most have. Maybe i should take her out for a longer ride to get the correct experience. BRB =]

6. ju015dd

ju015dd Well-Known Member

wow, first time doing a shifter? i have the mgw and love the short throw. oh, and now that you have done it once you can do it in 20min i bet.

7. Twista

Twista Legend

not sure about 20 minutes. One thing for sure... i couldn't install if it wasn't for you guys rooting me to install it in the other thread. Thanks guys! :dancing6:

8. Rantheman

Rantheman Well-Known Member

looking good I remember when I installed my steeda 2 years ago I love the feel of short throwing

9. Twista

Twista Legend

Yep, well i get to drive her to work 2morrow so we'll see how she feels. :noes:
    next thing i need to do is save up for a shift knob and new boot. That stock one looks shitty in my book and than i need a ring to go around the shifter.

10. ju015dd

ju015dd Well-Known Member

once you do it a few times it becomse easy man. when i did my longtubes for the first time, it took me for ever just to get down to where i could work on taking the old manifolds out. i could prob, drop the k in an hour or so now that i know what all is needed and such.

11. Twista

Twista Legend

Oh ya, my exhaust is louder now :banana:. Im not lying at all.. i think its because i installed it w/o the MGW rubber grommet which dampens tranny/road noise. Oh well once i get the grommet from MGW ill install it.

12. Rantheman

Rantheman Well-Known Member

I used to have my rubber grommet out but way too much noise and heat were coming through so i have one now

13. Matt94GT

Matt94GT Legend Retired Staff SN95 Supporter

im with you guys.

Ok it might not be nesscary, for dragging or racing it deffently helps, also helps not to miss 3rd but I just love how easy it is to shift I can just rip thru the gears or when crusin have my arm resting on the armrest/box thing and just shift with my wrist dont even have to move my arm.

14. Twista

Twista Legend

yep, but that heat does well in the winter time :noes: The grommet only cost $5 shipped to my house directly from MGW, so now its a waiting game. I only have to remove the dust boot to install it so not to much of a deal. :noes:

I'll have to try that sooner or later (shifting w/o moving my arm)

Anyways, i have to sleep now because i have work in the morning! GN all

15. Foster98GT

Foster98GT Well-Known Member

Congrats on the install. I love my MGW.

16. ALITL8

ALITL8 Well-Known Member

i have the orange handle MGW and could feel the difference immediately. i took it out and romped on it a few times too. i also swapped out my shift knob. took me and my son about 20 minutes. he removed it and installed it, i handed him tools and made all the final adjustments.

here's a pic of mine during and after:

[attachment deleted by admin]

17. Twista

Twista Legend

:lame: no testing today. Stang is staying in the garage.
    What a bitch! The streets are already getting sloppy! :mad:

18. four six

four six New Member

Where are you in IL? I live in Hammond,IN and the roads suck :rant:

19. AaRoN

AaRoN King Post Whore

Congrats on the install man!

20. 95KBGT

95KBGT Legend

looking good buddy. my lil bro was jealous of my car cause his termy had a stock shifter for ever..he would drive my car with the tri ax and fell in love with it. But he opted to go with the MGW Orange handle.