more on spark plugs

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
so went to r and r the plugs and wires today on my son's car. first plug....would not come out. used considerable force to try to get with a 3/8 ratchet. pb or wd not going to help here. have no idea who put them in last, what kind they are or if anti-seize was used. so trying to determine next move. reluctant to get the car warmed up and then try but not sure what else might work at this point. if they are autolites with no anti-seize, this could be bad.

07GtS197

Reaction score
As long as you warm it so its just warm to the touch and are careful pulling them youll be fine. Where you really have to worry is when installing plugs on a warm engine.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
thanks!!! yep, know about doing it cold. another suggested just warm so when I do it, that is what I will try. thanks for the help!!!! cannot afford to mess his car up. will have to wait probably since I think he has to leave tomorrow.

07GtS197

Reaction score
You should be good to go. 3v guys usually warm up their engines before swapping the plugs because theyre known to snap in the head. Point is its a good way of getting plugs out easier and is ok for taking the plugs out.

OP
OP
SnakeBit!

SnakeBit!

Reaction score
Thanx, around the net, several were saying not to do it as you risk removing threads from the head. I figure heat would help and I risk removing threads if I keep trying to get them out cold and they are stuck, so might as well try the heat. one mechanic told me to go warm, turn the spark plug 1/8 turn and stop; hit it with some carb cleaner, let it sit for 15 minutes and then go and try to get it the rest of the way and if tight, do the same...hit with the carb cleaner, wait and them move it little by little until out. he said 100-120 degrees on the head temp. will monitor with infrared thermometer and then try. will have to wait though, now, maybe until the end of this semester.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I assume your doing this with the head on the car. Would it be easier to remove the head and try outside the car?

07GtS197

Reaction score
Yes and no. Yes you will run the risk of removing the threads but its not as bad as torquing plugs into a hot motor. Thats where people can go crazy and cross thread or strip the threads altogether. Though it is apples to oranges, 3v guys do this all the time because of all the issues the 2 piece plugs give them. I did the same thing when I changed the plugs in my 07 gt.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online