Motor Break In

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
So building new motor with pi head swap and turbo. Question I have is can I break the motor in with the turbo installed. I don't want to get into boost but don't want to have to install turbo after the motor is in the car either. Buddy said can put a 1lb wastegate spring to keep it from building pressure. Thoughts?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
The biggest thing you’re going to have to worry about is the tune. If it wasn’t tuned for the turbo before the build, then I’d leave the 1 pound spring in it until you know the engine is ready for tuning and then turn the boost on for the tune.

I will say this, total seal (piston ring manufacturer) recommends running the engine hard as soon as you can. In other words, break it in how you intend to run it. You want a load on the rings ASAP to make them seal up.

OP
OP
D

Darkfiggy

Reaction score
So we were going to put a no boost tune on as soon as the motor gets installed. I have done a lot of research about breaking in the motor with and without the turbo installed. Still wasn't sure which to do because I have never done this before. Glad to see someone more knowledgeable than me says it can be done

Makoto

Reaction score
I was told by my tuner to do this:
1. use break in oil or add lucas with zinc to whatever (as close to dyno oil) as you can find
2. heat cycle the engine 5-10 times (crank it and let it run till the fans kick on then kill it and don't run it again till its cold)
3. drain oil
4. check filter for bad juju
5. do step 1 again
6. run it hard

he said his main concern is, as previously stated, getting the rings to seat real well. i followed his advice, its at the tuner now, we'll see how things go.

Makoto

Reaction score
You should be able to run the turbo and just keep it from making any boost by making the wastegate stay open. turbo systems work off pressure equalization. just use that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdude138

Members online