Multiple mods question on sound

JoeyMacs96GT

Reaction score
Hello! I have read through every thread I could find on this subject before making this. I have a 96 Mustang GT Convertible. The only real mod I have done is install the Pypes Pype Bomb exhaust. I am happy with it, but may be interested in doing more.

I am considering installing the following:
JLT Intake
BBK Throttle Body
Trick Flow High Flow Upper Plenum

The motivation would be a little better sound, a little better throttle response, better look under the hood, and maybe a few HPs. I have estimated these 3 mods would cost about $600-$700 if I did them at same time. I am not under any unrealistic impression this would give me some huge performance boost.

I'd like to hear opinions on how much this would help sound. Also, does this sound feasible? And again, I am aware this would not be a giant performance gain without doing a lot more. Thank you!

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
600 or 700 would cover a nice exhaust system alone
600 would cover the throttle body and cold air intake alone
it's a little more than that
900 1000 maybe get it all

badass98svt

Reaction score
I'd skip the throttle body, and I'd use a replacement K&N filter over the JLT.
That'll save you some money.
The BBK throttle body won't get you any power or improved exhaust note. It'll just give you driveability issues.

Snorky

Reaction score
Screenshot_20220913-214104_Facebook.jpg
You can get half of it right here from mustang reaper on Facebook. Imo even this is a bit much. At least it's cheaper than brand new. I don't think you really need them though. A cold air intake will give you a little sound.

OP
OP
JoeyMacs96GT

JoeyMacs96GT

Reaction score

Here are the 3 links to parts. I should have included for price and spec purposes.

Thabk you for all that contributed. Still researching.

07GtS197

Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t pay that much for a throttle body. I’ve used two no brand 75mm throttle bodies for years without issues.

I’d look high and low for a plenum for the least amount of money as possible. They all give similar gains but the prices are all over the place. And the thing is they won’t net you much, so I personally can’t justify paying a couple hundred bucks for 5hp.

Same goes for the cai but the prices are crazier than plenums are.

Snorky

Reaction score
I’m probably in the minority here but I wouldn’t pay that much for a throttle body. I’ve used two no brand 75mm throttle bodies for years without issues.

I’d look high and low for a plenum for the least amount of money as possible. They all give similar gains but the prices are all over the place. And the thing is they won’t net you much, so I personally can’t justify paying a couple hundred bucks for 5hp.

Same goes for the cai but the prices are crazier than plenums are.

This exactly!!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
The cold air intake might help the sound some. If your car still retains the cats, removing them helps the sound alot! Scoring an after market mid pipe to replace your factory catted mid pipe poses some what of a challenge these days, but they are still available used. Best part is the price.

This will give you the best bang for the buck for changing your sound

Snorky

Reaction score
+1 on the mid pipe. Even a high-flow catted mid pipe will add volume and tone as they delete the precats and change the mains to a high-flow versions. Then the shape of the pipe will dramatically change the exhaust note. X vs H vs prochamber.

d.garza18

Reaction score
Mid pipe will help like stated. I have a bank o/r pipe and to me it’s to raspy, then again I have stock mufflers on the car still.. some long tubes headers would definitely wake it up but they are a challenge. As far as bolt one you really won’t notice much difference. I’d say get a crown Vic plenum.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
+1 with the ugly vic plenum. Sure its ugly but its a cheap upgrade. Score a 70mm truck 5.4l throttle body, swap the butteryfly bracket and then youll have a cheap throttle body upgrade

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online