My 97Gt feels sluggish when i want to accelerate.

Discussion in '96-04 - 2V Specific' started by Alfonsov909, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Alfonsov909

Alfonsov909 New Member

Hey im new to the Forum, i have a 97 GT pretty much stock, Just CAI and short throw shifter.

So i noticed that when driving the car, if i try to floor it and gain quick acceleration my car starts to no shake but feel sluggish, I noticed that if i put in New Spark plugs the car will act as if nothing was wrong, great acceleration and smooth. but it only last a day or so, then its back to being sluggish. any idea on why? i do regular maintenance and dont beat on the car.

2. nightfire

nightfire Member

It's because you have a stock NPI GT.....

3. KillNThrill24

KillNThrill24 Legend

^Hahahaha TRUF!

But no really check your wires and coils man sounds like it's time to replace them

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

4. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Other tips,
    Clean the maf sensor
    Clear out the egr valve
    Check all vacuum lines for leaks

5. Alfonsov909

Alfonsov909 New Member

Thanks guys, ima spend my next weekend replacing my coils and cables, and cleaning up anything i can

6. Musturd

Musturd Legend

Yea , it's because your car is sluggish . The average person runs 15's with these and my 7000lb cummins is faster then that .... So yea your right they do feel sluggish

7. the5.ohh

the5.ohh Legend

Change the coil packs, plug wires.. Do an oil change recently? If not, do one, obviously a new oil filter, put a new fuel filter on too, sometimes they like to get clogged.. Other than that, the car is slow, like all 94-98s doesn't matter if they're 5.0s or 4.6s, they're slow unless you mod them.

8. Musturd

Musturd Legend

They're slow period , the only way to wake a npi up is with some sauce or a blower .... Sure you can do pi intake manifold or complete pi swap then were talking ...

9. MustangChris

MustangChris Legend SN95 Supporter Retired Staff

yes. we've told him NPIs are slow, but it sounds like he has legitimate mechanical issues....

You likely wont need to replace your coils. They are pretty bullet-proof. Inspect them for cracks. If you do want to replace them, hit a junk yard and find a set of OEM Units. Aftermarket units are usually junk.

As stated, clean your MAF. You can buy a can of MAF cleaner for $5.00 at the local store. Use that to clean both the MAF sensor as well as the IAT sensor (located right behind the MAF in the intake plumbing.)

How do your new spark plugs look? Take them out and let us know if any of them appear damaged in any way.

finally, the spark plugs are located in deep valleys that collect water and dirt. Is there any water inside the spark plug holes? Are the boots on the end of the wire corroding in any way?

10. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

I totally agree with the pre-98's being slow,...heck....my '96 was an absolute turd,..but it still ran like a top! Not sluggish at all.
    Definitely a gremlin somewhere

11. Goldmember

Goldmember Well-Known Member

Clean out the throttle body, too. Sometimes a thin layer of crap can build up behind the plate and screw with your throttle response on tip-in.

I'll second staying with Ford on the coil packs. In a pinch I used Duralast (neverlast) coils on my old '97 because of a random multiple cylinder misfire. They were toast in less than a year. Sometimes, OE is best. This is one of those cases.

Always start with a good base line and rule out basic tune-up items.

12. Alfonsov909

Alfonsov909 New Member

after all it turned out to be the Intake Manifold had a leak and was causing the engine to mis-fire

13. 96blak54

96blak54 Legend

Crazy issue! Im glad you got it figured out!