My ADD demands this

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I know too many people who’ve been injured. And this was back when everyone DIDNT drive an SUV/Truck let alone with with mobile devices. I’m sure they’re probably fun out in the country, but in any town with 1,000 or more people, no.

Try renting a convertible to see if that gets you a similar feeling. Sure, you can still be severely injured/die in a convertible, but at least you’re shielded on all sides (just not the top)

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
I know too many people who’ve been injured. And this was back when everyone DIDNT drive an SUV/Truck let alone with with mobile devices. I’m sure they’re probably fun out in the country, but in any town with 1,000 or more people, no.

Try renting a convertible to see if that gets you a similar feeling. Sure, you can still be severely injured/die in a convertible, but at least you’re shielded on all sides (just not the top)

Not the worst advice but I don’t like drop tops. (No offense convertible guys)

It’ll be quite awhile before I’m brave enough for thick traffic. I have tons of country back roads nearby to have fun with.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score

There is just no way a vert is similar. Sure the wind is in your face but it just does not give the same feeling. There were times when you were sure the bike was trying to rip me off the back of it and in my mind I was just hanging on for dear life with my legs flapping behind me. With out spending $$$$ to get a car that is that fast its just not possible imo. I miss it...

joe65

Reaction score
i don't know how many of you all have been in a 10sec or faster quarter mile car. But that's the closest I've felt to the rush of hitting the power band on a sport bike. I had a good friend that was into building SVO's with big turbos. He hit a mid 10 sec run in one of his before he blew the motor. lol.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
i don't know how many of you all have been in a 10sec or faster quarter mile car. But that's the closest I've felt to the rush of hitting the power band on a sport bike. I had a good friend that was into building SVO's with big turbos. He hit a mid 10 sec run in one of his before he blew the motor. lol.

I daily drive a Model S. There’s little to no point in having a 10 second car when your 0-60 is 3 seconds. Flooring it from a light gives you little joy. You’re already speeding before you can have any fun at all. You leave everyone in the dust, and rather than a sense of achievement, you are riddled with guilt. You’ve essentially owned a bunch of elementary school kids at basketball. How can you feel proud about that?

My mustang on the other hand is fairly slow compared with its moderned version, yet it’s probably the most fun I ever have driving. Tons more fun than the Tesla. That’s one of the reasons I suggested testing out a convertible, but even with the top up, it’s still a lot of fun. However, if it were as fast as my Model S, Id probably be too scared to drive it.

Perhaps this is the difference between Harley riders, and sports bike riders... ...one enjoys the connection between machine and nature, while the other is an adrenaline junkie.

joe65

Reaction score
I daily drive a Model S. There’s little to no point in having a 10 second car when your 0-60 is 3 seconds. Flooring it from a light gives you little joy. You’re already speeding before you can have any fun at all. You leave everyone in the dust, and rather than a sense of achievement, you are riddled with guilt. You’ve essentially owned a bunch of elementary school kids at basketball. How can you feel proud about that?

My mustang on the other hand is fairly slow compared with its moderned version, yet it’s probably the most fun I ever have driving. Tons more fun than the Tesla. That’s one of the reasons I suggested testing out a convertible, but even with the top up, it’s still a lot of fun. However, if it were as fast as my Model S, Id probably be too scared to drive it.

Perhaps this is the difference between Harley riders, and sports bike riders... ...one enjoys the connection between machine and nature, while the other is an adrenaline junkie.

Interesting....i've not even had the chance to ride in a Tesla. Not the same, but kind of like me leaving the awd turbo audi to come back to v8 power. I just didn't have fun driving the car unless the roads were wet or snowy. I wanted to spin the tires..lol. I had just gone through my A4 suspension, exhaust etc. it was ready for a bigger turbo for another 100hp and i just couldn't keep myself from looking for another mustang.

oh and the intriguing thing for me about the tesla or any good electric car is the longevity and mostly maintenance free no worries. I've seen where there have been taxi companies with over 500k miles on a tesla (original battery).

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
the feeling from a fast car and a fast bike are just not the same. Sure they are scary but a bike is scary in the way you feel like you could loose your grip at any moment and be left behind. Your just afraid your going to hit something in a car and on a bike your not worried about that till your let off the gas and you are sure your not going to fall off and then its still not the same as your fear of hitting something on a bike is a little > than in a car.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Interesting....i've not even had the chance to ride in a Tesla. Not the same, but kind of like me leaving the awd turbo audi to come back to v8 power. I just didn't have fun driving the car unless the roads were wet or snowy. I wanted to spin the tires..lol. I had just gone through my A4 suspension, exhaust etc. it was ready for a bigger turbo for another 100hp and i just couldn't keep myself from looking for another mustang.

It’s sorted like an airplane. They’re super fast, but you don’t really feel like it is. I assume this is why autodrive is so important. If it weren’t for that, everyone would be driving triple digits everywhere, not really noticing it. You drive a 3HP go kart, not even competitive by any means, fun as hell because you feel like you’re going fast. I have a 1967 Triumph GT6 that’s basically just that. Can barely make it up the hill, yet you feel like you’re flying! As for spinning tires, ain’t gonna happen in the Tesla, especially if it’s a dual motor (AWD)

oh and the intriguing thing for me about the tesla or any good electric car is the longevity and mostly maintenance free no worries. I've seen where there have been taxi companies with over 500k miles on a tesla (original battery).

Before the Tesla, we had a 2017 Chevy Volt. I HIGHLY recommend this car (despite being a Chevy) to anyone considering a first time EV, or plug-in hybrid. It’s not as fast as the Tesla, but doesn’t need to be. Having all that instant electric torque is amazing! The car, since it was brand new, and a lease, was recalled numerous times for various software upgrades, but the Tesla is over the air, which I think is what that new Mach monstrosity will be, updates via WiFi. But the Chevy recalls were pretty obnoxious. I once was driving home from the dealership, after one recall was complete, and received a call asking me when I wanted to take the car in for another recall! The dealer also wasn’t sure when it was appropriate to remind us for an oil change. Being a plug in hybrid, you technically could drive the car on gas alone, which is what the new owner is doing, (thanks OnStar), but we rarely did. We might’ve had 50 miles max on the gas engine before trading it in, and that’s only because the car is designed to periodically turn itself on and use up that fuel so it doesn’t go bad.

As for the Tesla, we bought the 2015 preowned in 2018 (it dropped $30,000 in value!!!) The most notorious part to fail on these are the pop out handles, which the Model 3 just flat out does not have, at least, not motorized. We had two fail on us, half a year after owning, but because it came with a 5 year extended warranty, it was replaced for free.

There was a battery they replaced I think, and that may be due to Tesla’s own ignorance. Buying used through Tesla is a major PITA. Car sat for about a month before we could even take delivery, even though it was local. One of the many failed attempts was because the battery was dead. You can’t just leave any car sitting like that for so long, and certainly not an EV. But the good thing is that most repairs, they will actually send someone to the car to fix, rather than have you drive an hour to a service center.

I noticed when shopping however, if you get a Tesla with a “P” anything, instead of a 5 year warranty, they were offering a 2 year for the preowns. But that rental company, Tesloop, they did a great deal of work recording the service history on every single vehicle. Most of which was covered and serviced by Tesla. Pretty impressive. You really don’t need to do anything to these cars, like you have to with ICEs. You can purchase a cheaper Tesla through a private sale, but then you don’t have that extended warranty, and good luck finding and parts, or any mechanic that will help you. This is not a DIY car like the mustang is! But at the same time, you never have to change any fluids. Tires, and probably every 100,000 miles, brakes. Battery degration isn’t all that bad, but Tesloop documentation did show that insanely high mileage vehicles may have a range that will lie to you. Even my iPhone has done that after many many years. But again, Tesla fixed it for free.

the feeling from a fast car and a fast bike are just not the same. Sure they are scary but a bike is scary in the way you feel like you could loose your grip at any moment and be left behind. Your just afraid your going to hit something in a car and on a bike your not worried about that till your let off the gas and you are sure your not going to fall off and then its still not the same as your fear of hitting something on a bike is a little > than in a car.

Had a neighbor... ...poor guy had his wife diagnosed with cancer... ...then he got into an accident. 25MPH road, I’m sure he was driving even slower due to the road turning 45 degrees, and him being an old guy on a Harley. Even though the road was paved concrete, there was enough dirt that had washed onto it, very loose dirt, and he lost traction. They ended up having to hire someone to take care of them both at home until he got better.

joe65

Reaction score
good read. i appreciate hearing your experience with the hybrid and the EV. I couldn't see myself wanting to mess with a hybrid at this point. Ditch the ICE if you're going electric. I'm just at the point where keeping up with maintenance on multiple cars is not my favorite anymore. The idea of having a daily EV then the mustang for fun and messing around would be my idea of almost perfect at this point in my life. I'd really like a model 3 but it will be a bit before i could afford one without spending money i just dont need to now.

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
good read. i appreciate hearing your experience with the hybrid and the EV.

Oh no. Encouragement. Prepare for a wall of text.

I'm just at the point where keeping up with maintenance on multiple cars is not my favorite anymore. The idea of having a daily EV then the mustang for fun and messing around would be my idea of almost perfect at this point in my life. I'd really like a model 3 but it will be a bit before i could afford one without spending money i just dont need to now.

Yep. That’s how we fell down that slippery slope into the sinful lust of EVs. My mustang had been paid off since 1998, but as dependable as a car of that vintage can be, we really needed a truly dependable family sedan. My husband had always been more “adult” in his choices of vehicles. Which worked out, because he also preferred more of a sleeper look, which is the complete opposite of my mustang. Before I was ever even pregnant, he had a 2001 BMW 540i. Great car, but started having troubles during 2013, so we traded it in on a 2009 Jaguar XF. Eventually, it too started having troubles. That’s when we finally decided that we needed something either brand new, or new enough to not give us any trouble. We started looking into plugin hybrids because we were already on solar, had the 220 hookup, and well that’s where the future was headed. Teslas were still too pricey, and never having such a car, we had a lot of range anxiety. Technology was still new though, so we needed something we could fully trust ourselves with, and didn’t look butt ugly.

We kept trying and trying to find a Ford Fusion hybrid, but every single dealership would lie about having one just to get us there. We’re talking hour long drives just to see regular fusions! I think after our 4th dealership we finally got to test drive one. No charge, because why the hell would anyone want to see that feature? The thing was an absolute dog! It was terrible! Even if it were a third as fast as my mustang, it had even less trunk space! (And mines the convertible!) because that’s where the battery was, there was no real room for groceries, forget any thought you might’ve had on carrying a stroller. And what’s worse, even if it were fully charged, it would’ve only had a range of 20 miles!!!

We pretty much had given up on the whole plugin hybrid idea after that experience, until we remembered on the way home... ...Chevy has a Volt. They not only had a Volt, they had a second generation! It looked nicer, and had a much longer range. The test drive, which they were fully prepared for, despite being walk ins, was insane!!! I couldn’t believe the difference! The car was AMAZING! Not only that... ...but we were basically being PAID to drive it!

So, our 2009 Jaguar XF was paid off, and was working without issues temporarily, when they inspected it as a trade in. Because this was a lease, with an agreed upon 10,000 miles a year, with our down payment from the trade, the lower insurance rate because a Chevy compact is cheaper than a Jaguar supercharged XF, AND the amount we saved in fuel... ...we were basically being paid $108 every month to drive a brand new car rather than keep our old paid off one. And that car was loaded with every option you could think of. 2016, felt like I had traveled into the future!

But wait, it gets better... ...the Volt was a lease, so we were pretty much stuck with getting rid of it after 3 years. Keep in mind, this was before Chevy killed off production of such a wonderful vehicle. So, if we liked it, the theory was that we could always get a newer one. Being paid $108 a month to always have a dependable brand new car? Why the hell not? Well, my husband started looking into pricing for a new Model 3. So we go down to the gallery (you can’t legally buy a Tesla in this state) and check them out.

HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT!!! How?!? How could a 2yo Chevy compact be nicer than a Tesla?!? The Model 3 felt cheap. Unlike the Model S, there was no driver display, everything was 100% in the center. It didn’t have any more leg room than the Volt (a major factor in upgrading). But probably the worst of all... ...the trunk space. Much smaller than the Volt, AND an additional option to have the rear seats fold down, which the demo did not have. ...not to mention that they’re fugly as hell in the front. I get that Tesla was trying to make an affordable EV for the masses, but this wasn’t it. This was too pricey for the masses. The Volt was the car the people needed, but GM wasn’t going to market it. Why would they do that?That would be silly.

The Model S though... ...had everything we wanted, and more, but clearly, way out of our price range. But my husband started looking at preowns through the Tesla website, and my only requirement was something prefacelift (2016 and older) because even with just a mustache instead of a nose cone they weren’t as attractive. So for once, I didn’t pick the most expensive product!

But wait! I’m not done talking about how awesome the Volt was! So, the way Tesla does trade ins for states they can’t sell in, they have you take the car to Car Max, have them appraise the car for them, and honor whatever Car Max claims it is. Well, two years into a 3 year lease, we had so few miles on it that they not only accepted our trade, but PAID US MONEY for it!!! Who makes money on a lease?!? The car was worth more than what our lease was! So, for the price of a new Model 3, we got a 3yo Model S, in one of the rarest colors (meaning it was something other than the 5 they offer).

Poor car came from a broken home and was now slumming it next to a 94 Ford. The original dealership sticker claimed the car was $85k (is was missing several options that we weren’t really interested in). The data wasn’t reset, so we discovered it’s programmed home was inside a $4.5 million 10,000sqft mansion. Listed for $5.8mil when the car was traded in, but I guess it finally sold. Its navigation history involved a lot of lawyer offices and hotels. And the cars own Slacker radio account, had a station created for the keywords “rich and sad!”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online