My gas Mileage went up?

wolvee123

Reaction score
I know its not normally an issue but my Miles per tank went up.... 278 is my empty on fumes, I just installed a new clutch and added Synchromesh and a friction modifier and my M/tank went up... at 285 I went to get gas praying all the way, and when I was finished I realized I still had 1.5 gallons left in the tank. Let assume all my math is correct, I drove the same as I always do Conciously and Subconsiously there were no differences in my driving habits and all gas is equal! could it be the trans oil and F. Modifier could really help that much? 8)

96GT 5speed (120k mostly freeway)

ps im not aware of any differences in 96-99 clutches

Thanks
wolvee123 :thumb:

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Is your car mostly stock? I used to get over 330 miles per tank with 3.73's full exhaust etc on the highway.

ALITL8

Reaction score
i fill up around 250ish if im on a trip... cant say ive ever taken it to empty on purpose though :dunno: as a matter of fact i think its only run out of gas one time since it was new :)

blkstangman88

Reaction score
330 per tank???? how where u doing that. i was getting 200 when my headers where leaking like a siff, this i installed my bassanis and everything got sealed up and now im getting almost 270 for a tank

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
blkstangman88 said:
330 per tank???? how where u doing that. i was getting 200 when my headers where leaking like a siff, this i installed my bassanis and everything got sealed up and now im getting almost 270 for a tank
This was all Highway (95 south) for 1200 miles. I have an auto and it is really good on long highway cruises...this was along time ago when i was fairly stock. After the PI swap/cams etc it went down considerably but that was because i was mashing the pedal all the time. Once the blower and blower cams go in i don't expect to see much over 15mpg but again i'll be mashing that pedal all the time.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ALITL8 said:
Snakebit said:
I drive like my grandma

:blah2: yea sure ::)

no really I do................Im not kidding, the first couple weeks I had the Cobra I drove the piss out of it hard, since then with the $45 fill-ups, I dont milk the throttle and do high revs any;more. I'd rather have the money in my wallet instead of in my tank, I know my gas is lasting a few days longer than it was when I gave the car hell.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
My wife ran my 97 Cobra dry and it went 289 miles. That is with about 70% city driving.

As for the original question, if you replaced your clutch the old one could have been slipping a bit and never noticed it. And yes changing your gear lube could also increase your mileage a bit as well. If you put friction modifier in it, I would say it worked. Anytime you reduce friction and drag, you increase power and performance.

97red

Reaction score
wtf...the best i ever got bone stock with an auto and 3.08's was 260 :(

now i pray for 230-240 with all the shit i have done...and i dont even have a stall yet :'(

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember the total miles, but best I got on a highway trip, after PI heads was 23 mpg.
Around town it's not that good, BC i'm into the throttle more, like droptop said.

"when I was fairly stock" - lol, I remember those days!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.