My gears

Bouttime09

Reaction score
Starts off, I purchased a 96 Cobra from an older couple while I was deployed back in March. They told me that it was all stock with the exception of the 3.55's. First time driving the car the lack of traction at full throttle anywhere in 1st or 2nd gear was OBVIOUS, as was my less than expected MPG. I figured that I had some horribly cheap tires, or a factory freak. Later in forum search I stumbled apon a gear calculator. After punching in my RPM's in 5th and a certain speed it turns out that I have 4.56. Now all be it fun to burn out at will any time any where, is this really a good gear for the street? Are there any downfalls to having such a high gear...aside from gas mileage. And how do I go about putting a power adder on (planning on nitrous) with such horrible traction? Am I just being a whiney baby, or are these valid questions and concerns?

Blind

Reaction score
has the speedometer been corrected with a speedcal for the gears? If it hasn't, your speedo is way off and any gear calculator is worthless.

with my 4.30's, I run at ~3k rpm on the freeway doing 75, even with a speedcal set the recommended way, my speedo is 2mph slower than my gps shows (have to indicate 77 to be going 75)

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have 4.1s on my supercharged cobra and hate them...when i na 4.1 were great... dont know too many ppl with 4.56s but im sure with drag radials it would be fine if ur ok if u like them. prolly not with a power adder tho. i almost have to shift into 5th with mine at the drag strip so thats not good

OP
OP
B

Bouttime09

Reaction score
that wasn't using my speedo to measure. I was using my GPS...how accurate is TomTom? :) I was just thinking that possibly with a window switch set at like 3500 in 3rd, maybe it would be doable, but I don't want to wasted any money.

Would switching to an aluminum f/w help with traction? I realize that I would rev a lot faster, but would also lower the rotating mass...am I retarded?

98GTnSC

Reaction score
yeh since uve got a 5 speed cobra id go with sumthing around 3.73s or 3.90s. NO MORE than 4.10s. if ur wanting a lil better mileage the 3.73s or sum 3.55s wud b best

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope, i have a aluminum RPS flywheel and FRPP alum. drive shaft and its smooth feeling and revs fast. the steel ones should give you more traction, im pretty sure.

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
98GTnSC said:
yeh since uve got a 5 speed cobra id go with sumthing around 3.73s or 3.90s. NO MORE than 4.10s. if ur wanting a lil better mileage the 3.73s or sum 3.55s wud b best

for sure. i am going to change my 4.1s out for some 3.55s, that would be a great gear for the car especially for FI.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Put chalk line on your tire and a chalk line on your driveshaft. Rotate your tire one revolution, while counting the amount of times your driveshaft turns. That will give you a pretty good idea on your gear ratio.

Example, 3:27 gears tire one full rotation, your drive shaft will turn about 3.25 turns. So if you have 4:56 gears 1 tire rotation will give you just over 4.5 rotations of the drive shaft.

I have 3:73 gears in my Cobra and I get good gas mileage. About 20-22 mpg.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
4.56 gears are gonna be way much with a power adder, i would put in something lower than 3.55s though since that's almost the same as the stock 3.27 gears your car originally had. I'd suggest 3.73s or 4.10s with a power adder on the 4.6

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
4.56 gears are gonna be way much with a power adder, i would put in something lower than 3.55s though since that's almost the same as the stock 3.27 gears your car originally had. I'd suggest 3.73s or 4.10s with a power adder on the 4.6
exactly what i would have said.

John4cam

Reaction score
4.56's is the only thing I'd go with N/A. However, going with a power adder (especially N2O) those gears will be completly useless. 3.90's might be the perfect gear for you.

GTStang98

Reaction score
i like my 3.73s. they do well on the street, and i like them for the track. plus i shouldnt have to change my gears when i finally get the blow-off valves for my twin turbo kit. my father has the stock 3.27s in his 96 cobra and he likes those, but a cobra with 3.73s and bolt ons would be fierce, and economical. haha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RevBott

Members online