Need help installing the rear control arm

gnx547

Reaction score
I'm installing the rear lower control arms on my 94 GT, and I'm having a hard time getting the control arm bolt hole to line up with the axle hole. I have the rear shock and the axle dampener unbolted and disconnected. I have one bolt holding the front control arm, but it is not tightened. As you can see in the pics the control arm bushing is almost in, I can't get it in any further for the holes to line up. I jack up the control arm and still can't get the arm bolt holes to line up. If I jack up the axle the control arm moves further away from the bolt hole. Seems like the axle needs to be pushed in a little so the holes will line up, but I tried a little push and kicking, it didn't do nothing. I used my soft hammer trying to tap it in, and it didn't work.

I'm stuck, How do I get these control arms in? Do I have to remove the upper control arms to get the lowers in? Any tips or suggestions?

2r3ig55.jpg

The hole is almost lined up, I can't get it in any further
30j5nd2.jpg

2ykb9r8.jpg

33fbb48.jpg

BOS-94-003

Reaction score
Take the springs out and mount the body side first. replace the springs and jack up the diff side to the mounting area. Basically reverse the way your doing it.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Do you have the shock attach on the rear end?
What else have you removed?

Grab another jack and raise the rear end a little..to see if you can get it ligned up
Thats what i had to do when i installed mine

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
The driver side shock is removed and the axle dampener is also removed. I tried installing the control arm first but I can't get the end of the control arm bolt hole to line up with the axle.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Reinstall the shock and quadshock, you might need to use a second jack to get the hole to ligned up.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Javi said:
Reinstall the shock and quadshock, you might need to use a second jack to get the hole to ligned up.

I'll do that and see if that helps.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I finally got the bolt in. I removed the upper control arm bolt to the axle, and lower the rearend a little bit and the bolt holes lined up.

My next question when I torque the control arm bolts do I compress the suspension with the jack and torque the bolts? Or do I torque the bolts without compressing the suspension?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
has the same problem on mine, i had to put my back against the garage door and push the axle forward and slide the bolt in, all at the same time. lol.

sounds like you fixed it...

anyways, as for the TQing of the bolts, i suggest compressing the susspension to the point that you can slide the bolt in and out by hand (even if its a little difficult) that will show the least amount of resistance on the bolt and will provide you with the most accurate TQ rating possible.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I finally got the arms in and I'm trying to install the sway bar. The sway bar is it supposed to be mounted on the outside of the control arm mounting tab or inside? Does anyone have any pics?

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
I tried getting it from the inside & squeezing it through but it won't fit, It only fits on the outside.

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Sorry but what is the sticky thread? Do you have the link for it? thanks

OP
OP
gnx547

gnx547

Reaction score
Here is what my sway bar looks like bolted to the control arm..I'm wondering maybe for the BBK control arms, the sway bar is supposed to be bolted on the outside of the control arm, instead of inside..Anyone here using the BBK Gripp lower rear control arms?

20f58d5.jpg

66lp9s.jpg

topless95

Reaction score
I have found that when doing the control arms, with the axle on jack stands and a jack used under the pinion will help to rotate the axle to get the bolt to line up.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes, BBK suggest to mount the sway bar on the outside pad of the arm

when mine mount on the inside and i have MM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online