Need idea of cost for rear end build

dwcopple

Reaction score
I have a spare rear axle from the 97GT I parted out. I'd like to get it refreshed and also gear swapped to 3:73. How much would be a good deal for me to drop it at a shop and let them take their time with it. I'd like new seal kit and gear swap. If any of you guys comfortable with this live in Michigan and are interested in helping PM me.

Benni614

Reaction score
I have a spare rear axle from the 97GT I parted out. I'd like to get it refreshed and also gear swapped to 3:73. How much would be a good deal for me to drop it at a shop and let them take their time with it. I'd like new seal kit and gear swap. If any of you guys comfortable with this live in Michigan and are interested in helping PM me.
For gear swap usually the bearings and all would be replaced at least thats how I do it I d k maybe 5 550 not including parts

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Shop quoted me $800 including parts on my current rear end. This is A Lot less work though with it already out.

Reaction score
thats not a bad deal. i think about 400-500 for a set of gears installed with parts supplied is what i paid. when i did a full rear end rebuild with all parts supplied i think it set me back about 600 or so

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I kept it simple and ordered mine from LMR ($280 new; same price 3.55 and 3.73’s) and had a shop install them($200). All in, like Frank said, in the $600 range with speedo gear and ancillaries.

Last edited:

sluggish94

Reaction score
Last year I did a gear swap in my 88 and it cost $220 for labor, I provided the gears and the install kit. My guy also swapped out the third member because the spider gears on mine were kinda jacked, so I ended up paying $300 for everything. This was at a buddy's small shop and he hooked me up.

My 85 Grand Marquis also got geared last year. I provided the gears, the intsall kit, and I chose to put an Eaton Tru-Trac in there as well. Shop charged me $600, but this was a shop specializing in Transmissions and Rear end work.

I'd say if all you're doing is the gear swap, $800 is a touch steep. I would expect a shop to always quote a little higher though, considering that maybe they want to cover themselves in case there is a hiccup or two in the process.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
Thing is, I'm really mechanically inclined and know I could do the job myself, I just want someone experienced to watch over me and help me measure stuff.

Reaction score
im mechanically inclined too, but the rear end is one thing i refuse to touch. ill open it up and inspect/ fill fluids but i dont want to fvck with that in my car. maybe with a spare sra to learn on, but not the car that i drive 100+ mph on the racetrack with other cars lol

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
If you were in New mexico I would give you a hand
There pretty easy to install
Thing is the back lash
Before I remove the gear Ion stock one
I check my back and adjust the back lash to the new one the same
Those shims are your adjustment on lash and heel to toe on gear

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Thing is, I'm really mechanically inclined and know I could do the job myself, I just want someone experienced to watch over me and help me measure stuff.
I am the exact same way. I called my buddy that likes to wrench and that owed me a favor and he said he had done dozens, no problem. You can imagine my surprise then that the first thing he wanted to do was watch a youtube vid and then was getting the order of the stuff wrong almost as soon as we started. We were not far into it and the pinion was already not turning and I shut him down and took it to the shop.

OP
OP
dwcopple

dwcopple

Reaction score
So, my vert has the 3:08 posi. That carrier works with the 3:73 Ford performance kit @ LMR correct?

TrickVert

Reaction score
I suggest replacing the TracLoc clutch pack if it hasn't been done. HERE is a Corral thread including some good instructions on the process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbarter

Members online