Need new fuel tank setup

tvsn95

Reaction score
Ok guys I need confirmation on a Tank swap. going into a 1994
I have lost another set of external pumps and missed driving my car in the HotRod power tour. I have had it, and intend to change to an In tank setup that WORKS. I need to support 700 hp. It seems the problem is that todays fuel boils and allows cavitation at the pump suction, and the pumps overheat and eat themselves up.
thinking the 1998 tank setup might be the trick. Need to know what fits and what wont. Any parts I will need . Will the fuel sender unit work. filler necks ECT.
I know Aero motive sells it all but the price is disturbing since a new tank is $150 and they want $650. will need to connect to the -8 supply and -6 return .
sure want input from someone that has done this.
I have put in a 400lph in a stock slosh tank before and it APPEARS to work ok up to 600hp. Don't really want to do this this time around only because the slosh tank built into the tank can become a supply restriction and the return causes cavitation problems.

95opal

Reaction score
Were you running a pump controller with your external pump?
99 and up tank with triple hat would be the direction to go. Little tweaking of the 99+ filler neck will make it work in your 94..

OP
OP
tvsn95

tvsn95

Reaction score
Were you running a pump controller with your external pump?
99 and up tank with triple hat would be the direction to go. Little tweaking of the 99+ filler neck will make it work in your 94..
No controller. have been running 2 Walbro 255 externals for a few years and have always had hot weather problems, Even added a fuel cooler in to the return line. I thought I had it licked,, BUT.
I am to the point that I believe the slight suction on the hot fuel creating cavitation is the major problem,, Also there is the huge amount of recirc returning near the pump pick up that is most likely aerating the fuel. the walbros are a gear style pump and eat themselves up is not 100% flooded.
At least thats my thoughts.
I found an 03-4 Cobra tank and have ordered a 98 style fill neck as you have suggested, THX.
The plan is to use an On3 hat and adapt a Walbro 450 turbine pump. Do you have any insight for the level indicator install?

95opal

Reaction score
No controller. have been running 2 Walbro 255 externals for a few years and have always had hot weather problems, Even added a fuel cooler in to the return line. I thought I had it licked,, BUT.
I am to the point that I believe the slight suction on the hot fuel creating cavitation is the major problem,, Also there is the huge amount of recirc returning near the pump pick up that is most likely aerating the fuel. the walbros are a gear style pump and eat themselves up is not 100% flooded.
At least thats my thoughts.
I found an 03-4 Cobra tank and have ordered a 98 style fill neck as you have suggested, THX.
The plan is to use an On3 hat and adapt a Walbro 450 turbine pump. Do you have any insight for the level indicator install?

I run an autometer gauge with its own sender in a sumped cell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx