need some edumacation on my new paint guns

98cobra3

Reaction score
I got a steal on a set of some Cambell-Haussen paint guns, one gravity, one siphon feed, a cleaning kit, and a few tips. I got the whole set for $50 at our Sears. It is closing this month so I had to snag up a few things that I just could not pass up. I used a long held onto gift card. That is the excuse I used to tell my fiancé. I don't know much about the guns but im a fast learner so can some of you guys tell me some things I probably need to know. There are a few things I have read up on but they were kind of generic. I know one of them has a 1.4 tip on it already and that's about it.
some examples:
recommended psi for certain paints like base/clears
things I need for my compression, pressure regulators etc.
difference in tips
not so much of techniques but info about the guns and equipment needed

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

hondarocks61

Reaction score
I dont know a thing about siphon guns except they are illegal to use. Haha! At least in my state... Dont worry about the tips for now, you can pretty much spray anything with the 1.4, it may just not be ideal for everything. Play with pressures around 55psi at the gun and go from there. Tons of stuff on Youtube on adjusting spray guns btw. A lot of it has been trial and error for me.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
2bar is a pretty standard spraying pressure. Meaning 2bar at the regulator (not the air cap), but after you get enough spraying time under your belt you basically adjust the pressure to what suits both your way of spraying and also what you're spraying.

Difference in tips comes in with what you're spraying. 1.4 is a good b/c tip and a 1.7 or 1.8 would be a primer tip. This is obvious when you start mixing and you can see the difference in thicknesses between b/c and primer.

You'll want a water filter, either in-line or at the regulator.

Also, you can refer to this for some quick tips.
-:How-To:paint:-
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?t=57456

Sent from bored/stroked iPhone

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Damn I would have sold you a real nice SATA Jet2000 HVLP Digital gun..its old, about 5 years but cleand mint, digital readout still works and was a 600+ gun new...

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
thank whip! so I def need a regulator and a water filter. That means I need to snag up some extra hose. I have a flexzilla 50ft which is awesome. I think im just going to get what I need and just use some good old trial and error. That is the best way I learn.

Duff, maybe down the road I will take you up on that but it will probably be a bit to learn first.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Trial and error is the only way to learn how to spray. I'd look into getting a nice in-line filter because the regulator filters are only good for a few hours of spraying. And by the way, those flexzilla hoses are daaaa shittttt. That's still something is like to get.

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
Trial and error is the only way to learn how to spray. I'd look into getting a nice in-line filter because the regulator filters are only good for a few hours of spraying. And by the way, those flexzilla hoses are daaaa shittttt. That's still something is like to get.

I've watched some of your videos throughout your wicked build thread, by the way was a pretty *****in thread to read through (and damn long), and I didn't get a good look at your compressor set-up. do you have any pics of your set-up as far as how far your reg and filters are on your hoses to get an idea of a good rig?

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I've watched some of your videos throughout your wicked build thread, by the way was a pretty *****in thread to read through (and damn long), and I didn't get a good look at your compressor set-up. do you have any pics of your set-up as far as how far your reg and filters are on your hoses to get an idea of a good rig?

Well since my car is at my uncle's house, I'm just working with what he's got. My big compressor is down right now so it's sitting in a corner of the garage disguised as a dust collector. But the in-line water collector I have set up at my uncle's place is in the middle of two 20ft hoses and does just fine. Maybe you'd want to look into getting a 20-30ft to use whenever you're spraying something.

OP
OP

98cobra3

Reaction score
Well since my car is at my uncle's house, I'm just working with what he's got. My big compressor is down right now so it's sitting in a corner of the garage disguised as a dust collector. But the in-line water collector I have set up at my uncle's place is in the middle of two 20ft hoses and does just fine. Maybe you'd want to look into getting a 20-30ft to use whenever you're spraying something.

ok I see what I have to do now, as far as the regulator is that before the filter or is it in the filter. sorry for all the questions, but I don't want to buy stuff I don't need. my friend has a 60 gallon compressor but the one I got is only a 20 or 26. I was told I would be pushing it to be able to spray a full coat of a body part without having to wait for the compressor to build up enough pressure. Do you think I can do full coats on a hood with this little compressor or do you have any suggestions on making it work? thanks for the help

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
You can get a unit that has the water seperator, air filter and regulator in one unit but I wouldn't use that type of regulator for spraying.
The regulator for spraying needs to be closer to the gun to be more consistant and accurate.

Your compressor is at the bottom end of the size needed to spray paint and primer. The size of tank is less important than the out put of the compressor. But still that 20 gal tank is going to empty out quick.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
What is the output of the 20 gallon rated at? As he said with a small compressor you will be waiting for it to charge when it runs low which could cause problems with part of it drying while you wait for it to charge. I just got a 60 gal myself so I can start to paint.

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I do most of my side jobs out of a 20gal, it's running pretty much the whole time but I have a good water seperator so it works out alright. Also [MENTION=18288]98cobra3[/MENTION], those little blue things kinda look like the water filter I'm talking about that connects to the regulator.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDTag

Members online