Never time to do it right, but always time to do it over...

PinkieT

Reaction score
Feeling really stupid today. Finishing off installation of luminescent gauges on my 98 GT ragtop and the last task was drilling a hole for the dimmer. Dimpled the bezel by hand then got the right size bit in the drill. Didn't want to take the time to drill a pilot hole. Bit was too large for the dimple and skittered across the yellow painted bezel leaving a nice black scratch. Damn! Didn't have time to drill a proper pilot hole, but had plenty of time to repaint the bezel, drill a pilot hole, then swap out to the larger bit...

Since I had the spray bomb out, I figured I would touch up a bare spot under the deck lid the body shop left when they patched the holes from the old aftermarket wing. Figured I do a quick neat job so didn't mask it off. Got overspray on the tonneau cover, black trim, wire harness going into the deck lid, etc. Had to clean that all up, and then did it right and masked the area. Didn't have time to mask it in the first place, but had time to clean the overspray and mask it later....

Thought I was done, popped the bezel back in and noticed the bottom was loose. Oh, well. Putting the tools away I found the two clips I took off the bezel when I removed the rubber filler at the bottom but didn't put back. Didn't have time to look for the clips and put them on, but had time to take the whole bezel off again, put the clips on, and put it back...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
I've been in similar scenarios many times.... I used to go crazy growing up helping my stepdad on projects because he was so meticulous on details I thought could be eliminated. The older I get and more things I've had to redo, i realized why he taught me to take my time and do it once. It's just tough when you think a job can be done more efficiently but it ends up biting you!

OP
OP
PinkieT

PinkieT

Reaction score
This is why I don't touch my car anymore.

I have a day job that requires sitting behind a desk and a steering wheel most of the time. If I didn't have something to get my knuckles bloody on, and be able to see the results of my labor that isn't on a hard drive, I would go absolutely nuts.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ and that there is the story of my life!

Depression sets in if I dont dirty uo my hands with something

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99