New engine or something fixable?

godofclank

Reaction score
Pulling my 2000GT out of storage. Was parked a year ago due to being told it needed a new engine. Was wondering if anyone here could give me some ideas before I take it somewhere.

https://imgur.com/a/NCIKik9

Benni614

Reaction score
Pulling my 2000GT out of storage. Was parked a year ago due to being told it needed a new engine. Was wondering if anyone here could give me some ideas before I take it somewhere.

https://imgur.com/a/NCIKik9
You have to be able to tell of its brom the oil pan or heads.
Does it change when u accelerate??

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
First thing I would do take off the belt
Make sure noise is not a pulley or a power steering pulley or ac pulley or alternator
If it still makes the noise I'm guessing the chain hitting the cover inside

Benni614

Reaction score
Make sure noise is not a pulley or a power steering pulley or ac pulley or alternator
Agreed c
Good point

OP
OP
G

godofclank

Reaction score

When I had it looked at before the mechanic had the belt off and it was still noisy. He told me new engine because of that. It doesn't run rough just sounds like crap.

Benni614

Reaction score
When I had it looked at before the mechanic had the belt off and it was still noisy. He told me new engine because of that. It doesn't run rough just sounds like crap.
Either way. A rebuilt engine maybe 1200 to 1500 or a built engine 5 to 10k. Just depend son what u wanna do and what shops you have around u

delling3

Reaction score
How many miles are on this engine?

Did the mechanic do any other diagnostic checks? Not sure what kind of mechanic would diagnose that you need a new engine based solely on noise. Probably one who was trying to see if you were worth spending time with, or was too busy to bother. I would suggest getting a second opinion. You may be surprised to find your existing motor can be fixed.

What are your goals for the car? What is the condition of the rest of the car? Rust (especially structural rust) can be a killer. You need to make sure the car is worth putting money into. Then be honest about what your budget is.

If the car truly "needs an engine" you have options. Find a good used motor and drop it in if you are just looking for the car to be drivable. If you want to build some power, then you will likely want to look into rebuilding what you have, or maybe buy a crate motor.

OP
OP
G

godofclank

Reaction score
How many miles are on this engine?

Did the mechanic do any other diagnostic checks? Not sure what kind of mechanic would diagnose that you need a new engine based solely on noise. Probably one who was trying to see if you were worth spending time with, or was too busy to bother. I would suggest getting a second opinion. You may be surprised to find your existing motor can be fixed.

What are your goals for the car? What is the condition of the rest of the car? Rust (especially structural rust) can be a killer. You need to make sure the car is worth putting money into. Then be honest about what your budget is.

If the car truly "needs an engine" you have options. Find a good used motor and drop it in if you are just looking for the car to be drivable. If you want to build some power, then you will likely want to look into rebuilding what you have, or maybe buy a crate motor.

SoCal car so no rust. 120k miles, I’m the original owner. Paint is pretty good, no dents. No other diagnostics were done to my knowledge.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the front triming Chain cover make sure the chain did not come off the guides
I know it seems like a lot of work but it s
Pretty simple

OP
OP
G

godofclank

Reaction score
Have you tried pulling the front triming Chain cover make sure the chain did not come off the guides
I know it seems like a lot of work but it s
Pretty simple

I haven’t tried that. Is it pretty easy to do without a lift or garage? I’ve replaced the intake, heater core, and ac evap before so I’m pretty comfortable working on it.

OP
OP
G

godofclank

Reaction score
One of the easiest things to do is cut open the oil filter and see what kind of debris is in there.

Just looking for metal or any junk in the filter? I need to get my low profile jack from a buddy. Might try this weekend if the weather allows.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
Hopefully its something really stupid like a guide
Once you get it off inspect everything on that cover inside
Look for nicks or scrape marks
Then inspect the timing components and making sure everything is secured chain tension tensioner
If its something that dose not look right to you or you don't know post some pictures and someone will help you

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Just looking for metal or any junk in the filter? I need to get my low profile jack from a buddy. Might try this weekend if the weather allows.
When you cut it open, look for shiny bits of metal or shreds of plastic that may have come from the timing tensioners.

Not to insult your intelligence, but how mechanically inclines are you? Do you have tools and a place to work on the engine? We can talk you through just about every step to rebuilding this thing or getting it running again.

apsmith49921

Reaction score
When you cut it open, look for shiny bits of metal or shreds of plastic that may have come from the timing tensioners.

Not to insult your intelligence, but how mechanically inclines are you? Do you have tools and a place to work on the engine? We can talk you through just about every step to rebuilding this thing or getting it running again.
Zoom calls for engine rebuilding lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
That first time I relieved tension and the secondary chain spun the exhaust cam around I just about died.

:eek:

apsmith49921

Reaction score
I had someone come check it for me. I got it right supposedly but the car never ran. I really want to degree my cams but I dont think I can handle the stress

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.