new engine

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Ok so my 98 v6 decided to blow up on me last week. Im going to throw another engine in it within the next few weeks. I was wondering how much different it would be if I replaced it with a 99+ v6 engine that made ~ 45 more hp. I know the intakes are different, but do i need the wiring harness or anything extra to make it work?

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What happened to the 98 v6?
How handy are you?
What is your end goal? Get more out of a v6, or just drive it the way it is.

Auto or manual? I forget if there's a difference with auto.

My dad wrote this on another forum, basically covers everything pretty good;
The biggest problem is the fuel rail as the single port/94-98 was a return type, and the 99-04 was a returnLESS type, with each having different injector locations (not interchangable).

You need to stay with the return style. I think one from a 97-98 windstar will work, but I have been told there may be some interference with the upper manifold. This may be corrected with a manifold spacer(which also give a bit more power).
Use the injectors from the 95 (
In your case 98) engine, and any sensors.
I think that the coil pack needs to be relocated, but that is just bolting it somewhere else.
Use the 95 (
98) motor mounts to fit your K member.
You will want to use the header/manifolds of the 95 (
98) motor as they flow better, but you will have to modify the egr tube some.
This engine change is a good upgrade as it is good for about 60HP.

I would get the harness from the new edge, you will likely need some of it.
Basically try to use as much 98 stuff as you can. You may need some of the plugs from the new edge.
If you don't want to modify the egr, just delete it if you can.

It all depends on you, but I'm not sure if I would do the swap if I was going to keep it as is. If you're going to do further modification, then yes you need the split port. I would just go to the trouble of the 4.2 swap at that point, which I did.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Timing chain broke on the interstate and just messed everything up. I dont want to go through the trouble of a v8 swap but i want a little more out of the new engine. I was trying to see how much of a direct drop in the 99 would be just for the extra 60 hp. its by no means a race car but i just want it to be fun to drive. I've already installed a posi 8.8 rear end with 3.73s so it is alot better than when i purchased it i just want a little more.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, sounds like the swap could be useful for you.
Typically people don't do the "whole swap", usually jus the split port swap. You can Google it, there's lots of old info. Unfortunately the v6 tech is bring over ran by the new stuff.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Ok guys thanks for all of the help and great info. Ill probably be searching the local junk yards this weekend.

OP
OP
S

SN90FiveOh

Reaction score
Ok yesterday I bought a 3.8 out of a 2000 from the junkyard for $100. I've ordered a complete gasket kit for it and will be tearing into it this week. I have not been able to find any info about the fuel system yet. Will my fuel rail from my 98 v6 just fit right onto the 00' engine or do I have to change something?

punched281

Reaction score
The only other thing I remember needing a different fitting was a temperature sending unit, the injector plugs needs to extended and also, I am not sure which years they came on but the little butterfly things in the lover intake. the singles don't have it, so you'll need an intake without them or get rid of them.

I forget what they called those things, almost like little throttle blades in each intake runner.

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
Hey guys, Im helping OP with his engine swap and you are correct Atlanticblue98, his is a 00 3.8 and does not have the IMRC (I think that's what they are here, I know the 4 valve world calls them that) so that will not be and issue. However while researching the differences between these two engines the fuel system was a big thing, Return vs Returnless. We came across a thread telling us how to adapt it. Would you guys take a look and tell me what you think about it? It looks like a piece of cake to me, I may be missing something though.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...ustangforums.com/forum/v6-19...il-how-to.html

LilRoush

Reaction score
I think Super Six Motorsports sells a rail specifically for the swap. They used to, not sure if they still do.

Your link to Mustangfoums is a good write up on modification of the OEM rail.

And yes, IMRCs in the 01-04 (same as the 4V).

One heads up, the 2000 came both as internal and external balanced. Make sure you have the right flywheel on it.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I think Super Six Motorsports sells a rail specifically for the swap. They used to, not sure if they still do.

Your link to Mustangfoums is a good write up on modification of the OEM rail.

And yes, IMRCs in the 01-04 (same as the 4V).

One heads up, the 2000 came both as internal and external balanced. Make sure you have the right flywheel on it.

Will the balancer and the flywheel from the 98 swap over to the 00 engine?

LilRoush

Reaction score
Depends. The 2000 motor came both internal and external balanced based on early or late during production year. You'd have to make sure they are the same.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Depends. The 2000 motor came both internal and external balanced based on early or late during production year. You'd have to make sure they are the same.

Please excuse my ignorance because both the OP and I are new to the 3.8, but how can we tell the difference between the two?

LilRoush

Reaction score
Look at the crank pulley. Some will have a weighted version, others will be zero balanced.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010

Members online