New gears, clicking Noises turning ( Problem Solved)

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I JUST had my gears installed 4 days ago by a reputable shop. I got summit gears and ford racing install kit including bearings along with Royal Purple oil. I've driven the car about 100 miles all city and I've taken it easy, everything seemed good minus a little gear whine but I chalked it up as being a 4.10 gear thing. Yesterday while taking a cloverleaf to get onto a major road I heard continuous clunking as I was turning as if someone was rolling around in my axle. While turning in my neighborhood I hear it everything. I've parked the car and have not driven it since I've hear the noise, I also get a little pop or click while going into "D" or "R" in my auto tranny.

Needless to say its going back to the shop that did the gears. From what I've read online is the spider gears are probably gone, is this just a coincidence? Or can it be damaged by poor install? I just want to get my ducks in a row incase the shop gives me the run around....

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

kb1982

Reaction score
It may just need some friction modifier added to the gear oil.The clunking noise usually indicates some slop in the driveline, such as worn out u joints or loose driveshaft bolts.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, the RP oil has friction modifer included...

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can't stand when people say it has friction modifier included .... It's not good enough .... I've always ran redline or royal purple both say to have it and i still add friction modifier ... I'm not trying to come across as a ass but your better off just putting regular gear oil in and friction modifier then just royal purple by itself .... It won't quiet up until you add some this is common . I add 2 bottles because I'm picky

joekd

Reaction score
Add the Ford friction modifier to the fluid, I used RP in my rearend when I had the 4.10's done and the installer still said you had to use it or would end up with noise

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I will add FM then, the car is already back at the shop so we'll see what the verdict is tomorrow. If its just in need of FM ill be a happy man.

Wouldn't it make noise right away instead of 100 miles later?

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Added FM from the ford dealer, noise is still present. I will just learn to deal with it...

chris91

Reaction score
If the clicking around corners noise didnt go away then its definitely spider gear related and theyll break sooner or later. One easy way to tell if its them is have a buddy watch your inner rear wheel while going in a circle. If the wheel jerks when you hear the clicking or knocking you know its them and to get them fixed asap.

Had it happen with mine. It started the noise and within 30 miles they were toast. You could see the wheel jerk all over the place when going in a circle.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
If the clicking around corners noise didnt go away then its definitely spider gear related and theyll break sooner or later. One easy way to tell if its them is have a buddy watch your inner rear wheel while going in a circle. If the wheel jerks when you hear the clicking or knocking you know its them and to get them fixed asap.

Had it happen with mine. It started the noise and within 30 miles they were toast. You could see the wheel jerk all over the place when going in a circle.

Thanks got the tip, I will take a look at that this weekend. I've driven approx. 15-20 miles since I added the FM, perhaps it hasn't worked it self in? I read online to go to an empty lot and do 10-12 figure 8's to FM mixed, I want to try that out but first I will see if the wheel(s) are jerking around.

Little dissapointed with the shop to be honest. I brought it to them with my concerns, it was road tested and they said there was no noise. I asked politely for them to take it for another ride, the tech immediately noticed the chatter and dismissed it as my exhaust (muffler) hitting my frame. I've never heard this noise untill 4 days after my gears were replaced.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Well a 500 mile update, I've drained the fluid and put new fluid in with motorcraft modifier, noise has gone away around turns but I still get a knocking/binding noise under acceleration from 1800-2200 rpms or idling with my auto in drive, as soon as I shift to park it's silent. If I put the car in park or neutral and rev to around 2k there is no noise. I'm going nuts! Where do I start?

VIDEO:
http://vid102.photobucket.com/albums/m88/p1llar/Mustang/DSCN04901_zps5cb82b1a.mp4

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Put the mustang on jack stands today, put car in drive to replicate the noise. With the car in drive and my foot on the brake my drivers tire is spinning freely, weird. Take my foot off the brake and the drivers wheel locks up and passenger spins freely. I get under the car and I can hear what sounds like marbles spinning around near the drivers rear brake.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
why would you say you'll just deal with it? tell the shop to ****ing fix it or give you your money back. they shouldn't click or whine or make a ****ing peep.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I called and spoke to the shop again today, he said if the car is sitting and not moving it is not the diff making noise. So I decided to look into the exhaust today and it is 100% sure the axle/brake and I will be calling tomorrow to bring it back. I just don't understand how my drivers rear brake is literally reversed!

Before my gear change there was zero noise and I could lay two strips of rubber down. Now, lots of noise and passenger side puts rubber down.

RichV

Reaction score
It does sound like an exhaust rattle. I think it is too inconsistent to be the rear end. The rear end would make noise driveshaft RPM related as you go up in speed, not engine RPM.

When you go into drive the engine/trans loads up and will shift position, your exhaust will move as well. I would check under the car around the rear end, have a buddy put it in D and get under the rear of the car, don't jack it up, it needs to be sitting on the street. Listen for where it comes from.

The shop could have tweaked the exhaust a little when they were doing their thing. Or just going up on a lift things could have shifted a little. That's my opinion anyway.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, how would you explain my brake issue then? I put my head right next to the rear left brake and clear as day I can hear noise. I called the shop and he's speechless, he's going to take a look in Monday.

RichV

Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean on the brake without a picture. The brake cannot be put on backwards, not the way I'm thinking anyways.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
I have no idea what you mean on the brake without a picture. The brake cannot be put on backwards, not the way I'm thinking anyways.

I was going to take a video of it, kicking myself for not doing it.

-Car on jack stands.

-Car in "D"

-Drivers rear tire is locked - not moving.

-Passenger rear tire is coasting along like it should.

Seems off, maybe the trak lok is no good.

-Push the brake pedal to go back to "P"

-Passenger rear tire stops moving.

-Drivers rear tire starts to move as I press the brake pedal.

Last night I pulled the caliper off, 1 of the guide pins was pretty seized so maybe that is part of the problem. There's also a tear in the piston boot (not sure if I tore it while removing the caliper). I'm buying a new caliper and i'm not looking forward to that install, apparently it's a massive *****.

OP
OP
RICE ETR

RICE ETR

Reaction score
To update the thread.

New drivers rear caliper, resolved the brake issue and the car goes sideways like no tomorrow now!

Drivers rear tire still has a wobble in it with continued noise, I've got it down to: bent left rear axle or bad bearing. There isn't any movement in the wheel when I have the back end on the air and shake it.

Going to finish up some body work this weekend and drive it down to the shop on Tuesday and hopefully get this all sorted out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online