New guy from Iowa

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Hey all. First off, yes, I have always been an Fbody/GM guy, hence the screen name. It has stuck with me since I got my first Camaro, a 95 Z28. Since that time I have owned a 99 Z28, 00 SS, and just sold my 01 Z28. The 01 Z28 I picked up with the LS1 blown almost three years ago. It eventually turned into this...

Then eventually this...

It started as a complete budget turbo build. Stock bottom end LQ4, small turbo cam, ON3 76mm, junk yard 4L80E, Circle-D converter, stock 10 bolt, on E85. That equated to this...

[video=youtube;ovHWR2Xzkq0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovHWR2Xzkq0[/video]

I swapped out the ON3 for one of the new (at the time) Turbonetics 7875's. It picked up quite a bit of power and ran it's ass off for what it was.

[video=youtube;lOOKsF2znPQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOOKsF2znPQ[/video]

Over the past winter I decided I wanted more power and made a new hotside for it, swapped to a different cam, and hung a Borg Warner S480 off it. It made 727 RWHP blowing through the converter. It was a roll monster, but without a trans brake I couldn't build much boost on the footbrake any longer. I had fun with it for part of this year but decided to put it up for sale to help fund our new house we were building. I miss the car like crazy and wish I would have been able to get the new setup figured out before I sold it, but it is what it is. Here's a quick run versus the "Beater Bomb".

[video=youtube;qI74I0KNDCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI74I0KNDCk[/video]

Now, onto the new car. I have always like SN95 cars and wanted to try to find a clean one to just drive while I decide on what I want to do with it. I found this car up in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago and made the drive to check it out. It was exactly what I wanted, fairly clean, stockish, T5, 5.0, and something that wasn't red. All of my Camaros were red. Anyway, the car is a 95 GT with 117k miles on it. I paid $4400 for it which I thought was fair, especially since it seems people want insanse prices for these things around here. I drove the car back 6 hours and had a blast doing so. The car isn't perfect by any means, but it is pretty clean. Has a few paint blemishes that will need addressed eventually, but other than that it runs and drives well, and everything works, including the A/C.

Here's a few pictures...

Finally, in it's new home.

I know what you are all probably thinking, will I swap an LS into it eventually? The answer to that is, yes. It's what I know, it works, and can be done fairly cheap. I have browsed a few other threads on here and it seems that for the most part you all are cool with the LS thing. I am not trying to rub anything into anyone's face either. I truly like these cars, they are a great platform to build on, and I want to learn more about them. I am tired of messing around in an Fbody engine bay, paying $3000+ for a rear end, dimpling quarter panels from launches at the track, etc. For the time being I will enjoy driving the Mustang although it is extremely slow!

Happy to be here and hopefully most of you will be happy to have me.

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to SN95forums, we are a community for all things SN95 related, no matter the power plant. Although there are those here who will bash, flame, cry, whine and ***** about what you're doing (just hit the "report post" icon if it gets out of hand and we'll handle it) most will applaud you for doing something different.

Sorry for the morose welcome post but I'm here to help if/when you need me :thumbsup:

Sweet rides!

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the site and sn95 ownership!

Great catfish and very clean SN.
Even though I think LS swapping is a sin, its your car. I can appreciate the fact you're doing a swap that pisses people off, not many people are on board with v6 power either :p.
Make sure to post up a build thread. Have fun with it!

OP
OP
R

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
Welcome to the madness. that car is awesome. slow yes. but still fun.

Thank you! Nice car and color as well :).

Welcome to the site and sn95 ownership!

Great catfish and very clean SN.
Even though I think LS swapping is a sin, its your car. I can appreciate the fact you're doing a swap that pisses people off, not many people are on board with v6 power either :p.
Make sure to post up a build thread. Have fun with it!

Ha, I have ran across a couple of other LS swap threads you posted in. Glad you aren't giving me too much crap...yet, lol. You have a very clean and well done car. I will definitely do a build thread when I decide to tear it down. For now though, I will enjoy the site and take in all the knowledge from everyone.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ha, I have ran across a couple of other LS swap threads you posted in. Glad you aren't giving me too much crap...yet, lol.

lol.

You just have to look at it this way, GM guys swap their precious LS into mustangs simply because they've got nothing better to put them in :p
Haha, have fun with it!

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Where at in the corn state do you live? Im from Dubuque if you know where thats at.... Nice looking ride though!

OP
OP
R

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
lol.

You just have to look at it this way, GM guys swap their precious LS into mustangs simply because they've got nothing better to put them in :p
Haha, have fun with it!

Haha, yeah I hear ya. I love a clean Fbody, but man am I tired of working on them. Just want to change it up a bit.

Where at in the corn state do you live? Im from Dubuque if you know where thats at.... Nice looking ride though!

I live in Madrid. It's about 25 minutes North of Des Moines. I know where Dubuque is for sure. Passed through there on my drive to Wisconsin to grab the SN95.

Barner1

Reaction score
That's a sweet Z! I can tolerate a LS-swapped mustang, the power-for-price can't be denied.

OP
OP
R

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
That's a sweet Z! I can tolerate a LS-swapped mustang, the power-for-price can't be denied.

Thanks man. I miss the Z for sure. Wish I would have left it alone with the Turbonetics 7875 setup. It just flat out worked. Could have gotten it to go mid 9's pretty easily with that setup. Oh well though. On to another project.

punched281

Reaction score
Any turbo car is cool with me! Welcome, and enjoyed the videos!

So was the on3 quality worth it for the money? Or if you could do it again, would you have skipped that step of the process? I am eyeballing the on3 stuff, seems like you can't beat it for the price and I really only need the hot side..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online