New heads

95-stang

Reaction score
Just started fitting my AFR heads on friday morning, and got as far as the second pictures by saturday lunch. [only got half of friday to do anything]
I used fel-pro gaskets, arp bolts, and had to use some loctite [$40 per tiny bottle] to seal the water jacket bolts. While i was at it, i bought some BBK equal length shorty headers to match the existing x-pipe, they were a bit of a bitch to fit, but eventually went on. It was made more complicated by having to jack up the OPPOSITE side of the engine to the side stated in the instructions. :( I originally wanted the Ford Racing stainless steel ones, but alas no longer available, seems Summits site was out of date [and stock :) ]
Might just get to fit the hardened pushrods and roller rockers on Monday, got stuff to do tommorow, still be nice to fire it up again.

2007_0720Image0003.jpg

2007_0720Image0004.jpg

2007_0720Image0005.jpg

2007_0720Image0006.jpg

el docum

Reaction score
Hello,

Great project O0, you will got an important increase of H.P., did you also change the original intake ?

F.

ranger50toy

Reaction score
Is that my car? Mine is sitting in the garage in the same condition with the GT40 lower, and MAC longtubes. I was changing head gaskets. Do your heads have a slot cut in the face between the water holes?

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Thanks, i'm using a Ford Racing [the old Cobra] intake, with 65mm throttle body, and cai, so i'm hoping it will pick its feet up a bit. :)
I may look into a cam later, though everyone seems divided on wether it will tick over after, it seems one of the Steeda cams is ok so that could happen eventually. :)

We have twins eh? :thumb:
Not sure if they had slots, but thinking about it i dont remember seeing any.

Suspect

Reaction score
sweeet! :dancing6: let us know how she rides when u get it all buttoned up.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
This is where i need some good advice, it has crossed my mind, can i just throw bigger injectors in, or does the main ecu need re-programming?
Being where i am there's no one with any equipment to do it.

281cammer

Reaction score
oooh AFR's. I'm a hater, did you go 165's or 185's? I'm wanting a set for my notchback something fierce

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
I went with the 1402's [165cc] but with stud instead of pedestal mount. If i lived where you are i could afford to try more stuff, but due to the distance involved [and cost] , i cant afford to go too wild. :(
The only thing they did'nt come with was 2 blanking plugs for the smog pump "plumbing" on the back of the heads [fortunately i had ordered 2 last month] but apart from that i cant wait to try it. ;)

trav_19

Legend
Reaction score
let me know how you like the equal lenght i have heard nothing but horror stories about them burning up wires and what not

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
It looks like a new bottom end or do you just clean it? Did you put in a cam? If so what kind. 30's is a must if you want the power you just bought.

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Just cleaned it up, not got round to a cam just yet, still trying to find out which is best.
Have to keep my eye on the headers if they are that bad, was'nt much of a choice in the short range ones. :(

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Any reason not to put one in later? Was thinking of a mild one, so as not to upset anything.
The roller rockers supplied are 1.6, the ones that were recommended anyway.
The pushrods are Crane 5/16'' +.117'' as above, they told me these would work?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
1.7 raise the lift and a little duration. unless you like working on the car its not worth it just blow it with a little more boost because 500 is max

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
Thanks, this is all handy to know, btw will the stock valve covers clear the rockers etc?
Looks like they will, but theres not much in it.

And if anyone can point me to an article on how to fit and adjust roller rockers i would be happier still. :)

OP
OP

95-stang

Reaction score
There's no baffles on the drivers side, as i cleaned that one last, i assume the other side [oil filler] has them in?
[got them screwed down atm and i dont remember taking as much notice of that side]

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rvseverson

Members online