Trick flow lifters/heads

Jakem5622

Reaction score
I had a lifter go out on my rebuilt 5.0…
I was going to buy new TrickFlow lifters to replace the ford performance ones I have already installed.
Am I able to get the new TrickFlow lifters in without removing the heads?
I’ve heard both sides saying no you can’t, and some say yes you can.
Was wondering if anyone here has done/tried it

Btw I have TrickFlow 170CC heads

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Can't you just replace the one Ford Performance lifter? Seems a shame to redo the lot when the rest are fine and only one was the problem. Might've just come loose; installed incorrectly, or any number of other reasons. Just my unsolicited $.02 trying to save you $$$

OP
OP
Jakem5622

Jakem5622

Reaction score
Can't you just replace the one Ford Performance lifter? Seems a shame to redo the lot when the rest are fine and only one was the problem. Might've just come loose; installed incorrectly, or any number of other reasons. Just my unsolicited $.02 trying to save you $$$
Appreciate it, I’ve heard from one of my buddy’s that the ford performance lifters are not the best and tend to fail.
But after pulling it out just now and draining the oil out of it, it seems to be functioning properly. ‍♂️
I don’t know if my rocker set nut came loose.. or the lifter collapsed and it was enough to throw the rocker off the spring cap. because the rocker was off the spring when I opened the valve cover…

Now I’m worried my valve is screwed up

CobraRGuy

Reaction score
In case you're interested, Johnson roller lifers (https://johnsonlifters.com/Products/Hydraulic-Roller-Lifters) are the best money can buy. They have four part numbers for the Ford small block which is highly unusual. They only make tie-bar style, so no spider needed. Their lifters are manufactured from beginning to end within 15 miles of their headquarters in Detroit and they maintain less than 1/10,000th of an inch tolerances. Be prepared for some sticker shock. Below is a pic of the failed CompCams lifter that caused me tremendous grief.

1713319811401.jpeg