New here. First car at 16...

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Let me start by introducing myself. I'm Dylan Spencer from Harrisville NY. Starting in September I am a Senior. I turn 17 in August. I'm new to this forum but I'm not new at cars in general. In fact, I decided to join you guys because I have been active at OldWillys.com for a year now and figured I need to be part of a Mustang group also. I have been restoring a 1961 Willys pickup myself for the past few months. I get straight A's and plan on going to college for my Pharm.D.

Now I'll introduce the important part...
This is my 1995 Mustang, base model with an all stock 3.8 and an auto tranny. I paid $500 for it cash, out of my own pocket... not my parents. The only thing I'm not happy with and will never be happy with is the darn aode. Those trannys are like my grandpa... they don't know when to shift!
asy6ume8.jpg
uvaduham.jpg

As you can see it has the tan interior which I'm pretty fond of.

Feel free to ask me any questions, about the car or personal. I've learned over at OldWillys that everyone gets to know each other after a while. I'll mainly use the site for questions when I run into problems or about mods etc.

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
I should also mention what I've fixed and what currently is wrong with it. I've had it since April.
Put a front bearing in
Rear axle (passenger side) seal
Rear brakes and calipers
Plugs and wires (both were 1995 original)
Lots of fluid changes.

Currently it leaks antifreeze out of somewhere, it gets on cylinder 1 wire, and it misfires while driving.
When accelerating it will randomly shake violently. I'm convinced it is the misfire.
Tie rods are going so it shakes while braking.
It's had a knock in the lower end since I've owned it. Definitely a bearing in the engine. I change the oil every 3k and substitute in a quart of Lucas. Silences it and hopefully will prolong it until I can afford a rebuild.

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
The head unit? Sorry I am awful with terms. Just ask the guys at the Willys forum lol.

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
If you mean the stereo, it came with four 150 watt pioneers in it. The owner wanted to keep the stereo though. I'll drop down and buy one one day:)

Lebeter

Reaction score
nice job purchasing your own car. It's a great first car as a platform to learn automobiles on.

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
nice job purchasing your own car. It's a great first car as a platform to learn automobiles on.
Ha tell me about it! I could take my Continental straight 6 apart with my eyes closed... a modern v6.... maybe a year with my eyes open!

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
And yeah I never really thought chrome went too well with the gold trim. I will say though, I've never seen another with the same paint scheme. Anyone else have green and gold? Any suggestions on rims that would look nice?

Slipperman

Reaction score
Man does this post take me back.
It wasn't my first car, but WAY back in '78, I bought a then eleven year old Mustang, a '67.
It was a coupe with a 200 CI straight six. Easy to work on, but it would regularly foul the plugs.
I'm so glad I decided to buy that car. It got me into Mustangs and I still think back and grin about the times I had in that (old) car.
Enjoy!!:thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
Thanks. Every singe Ford we have ever owned has had well over 200k on it when we sold them. Never scrapped one and most are still being used today. Even in NY winters they hold up so well.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum! Good to see younger users!

I've had my car since I was 12 and built it with my dad, now I'm 20,

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow New Yawkah.. I'm over in staten island. I have an aode out of my 95 GT for sale if ya need one. 57,000 miles. Everythings pretty smooth except 3rd to 4th slips a tiny bit but it might just need a fluid flush and change. $100 takes it lol. Giant paper weight. Car looks good though, congrats and good luck!

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
No offense but I wouldn't take one if someone paid me... I miss that third pedal. Especially with the v6. I mean come on, my dad's four banger accelerates better. He has a focus hatchback which is manual. It's embarrassing to be seen in but waayyyyy more fun to drive.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
what he said lol

So glad my mustang and focus are manual.
I love the difference in clutches. The mustang is so heavy which i like the feeling of, then the focus is so light and I can just riffle through gears.
Even though the focus has the smaller duratec then my mazda did, its way more lively from the manual. The bolts of probably help a tiny bit too.

OP
OP
mrdylanspencer

mrdylanspencer

Reaction score
I mean installing an extra pedal wouldn't be too hard but what about the computer etc.?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online