New running issue

delling3

Reaction score
1996 GT, with automatic. Stock drivetrain at the moment. I have noticed a new issue which would like to get some thoughts on.

Took the car for a drive last night. Stop and go city driving, about 30 minutes of driving. Backing into the garage, stopped the car and shifted into park. Immediately after putting the car in park, the idle speed dropped and the car stalled. It started back up immediately when I hit the key, and seemed to idle just fine. Thoughts? I am getting ready to leave on a road trip, and hate to have something like this nagging me in the back of my mind.

TIA.

OP
OP
delling3

delling3

Reaction score
I don’t have a tuner, so looking for other options. This is a new issue. Car had no issues previously. What does the IAC valve do, exactly, and could this be the cause? Car idles fine in gear, but shift to neutral or park, and it’s 50/50 that it’ll die. Starts right back up.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Iac, Idle Air Control.

It’s the device that regulates just how much air is allowed into the intake when your foot isn’t on the gas. When your in gear it opens up, when your ac compressor is running it opens up. If your in neutral or park and ac isn’t running then it shouldn’t be open as much.

From what your describing it could be that the iac is either very dirty and needs a good cleaning or is faulty and needs replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
start simple and clean the maf sensor. Is the check engine light on? Stop by a vatozone and have them pull the codes to see if anything has come up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.