New to Me SN95

Idlehands78

Reaction score
Thanks for the add. I've been a long time fan of Mustangs and after having a 1967 Fairlane with a 429, I was granted to opportunity to join the stable and traded the Fairlane for a new to me 1994 Mustang GT Convertible. Straight swap. I wasn't super sold on the color or the soft top, but the work that was put into this bad girl prior to her coming to me is nothing short of awesome.

For starters, gone is the 5.0. The previous owner had a Ford Racing 392 (M6007D392FRT) crate engine with comp cams 232/246/[email protected]" built by Kenny Dutweiller. Ported GT-40X heads, extruded and honed, GT-40 Cobra Intake manifold 75mm throttle body, 80mm MAF, Cobra air filter, 255 l/h fuel pump, 30# injectors, aeromotive fuel regulator, 351 EFI distributor, Steeda 2-core aluminum radiator, and 180d t-stat. Built AODE trans, 3.55 diff & auburn Limited slip with positraction, Saleen Stage 2 suspension, Cobra 13" front and 11" discs, Steeda caster/camber pates, and cobra strut tower brace. All under the stock hook.

Z rated tires, stock wheels, it's a sleeper for sure.

I've only driven a few miles in it, but my goodness does it put a smile on my face.

Now the bad.
A) It needs a new top, the current white top 1) looks awful. White on white is a crime. 2) the glass rear window has separated from the vinyl and yeah....nothing more to say. So the whole thing is getting replaced with a new black top.
B) AC - the refrigerant levels are great in the system and pressure is fine, but the compressor won't kick on. Living in the central valley of California where our summers are spent above 100 degrees, AC is a must. So between the new top and AC I've got my work cut out for me.
C) The seats have not been taken care of. They are vinyl and grey, and cracking, there's no saving them. So they are either going to get recovered, or replaced. Most likely replaced with something with some more side bolstering as I really want this more for canyon carving that straight line speed.
D) The stock stereo is trash. I turned it all the way up and nothing. When I moved the passenger seat forward, I found a nice large JL Audio amp, then a nice 10" sub in the trunk, previous owner had no clue they were there. Well I'm going to rip all of it out. Mach Audio and all. Replace it with a nice double din, apple car play, and some nice easy going speakers. I'm not looking for a concert, but I want to listen to my yacht rock decently loud.
E) The wheels. I have z-rated tires, but goodness those 17x8's have got to go. I'm looking at either a Saleen or Cobra set of 18's staggered. This is not a daily driver, so I want nice, not practical.
F) Headlights are atrocious. Looking to replace with projector one piece sets, or cobra style lights. Also plan on doing a full LED swap interior and exterior.
G) The previous owner touted the Viper alarm.....sorry 2005 called and they want their remote back. I'm going to rip that crap out just like the stereo. Talk about a drain on the battery and a waste of time/money. If I want remote lock/unlock, I'll do it, but the Viper alarm is outdated and massive. The shock sensor is a big as a dome light.
H) The paint. Way down the line I plan to have it painted. After almost 30 years, the paint has seen better days. Rock chips, dents and parking lot dings have had their fun with this car, I don't need a fancy $15k paint job. I just want a color change from white and it to last for a bit. Probably 2-4 years away from this one. I really like the Audi Grey, and battleship grey, so most likely somewhere in that family is where it will end up.

All that to say, I'm super happy with the trade even with the work that has to be done. My kids keep asking when we get to go on another ride, and my niece wants to race her 66 Mustang with a 305. Lessons must be learned.

Happy to be here and I hope I can contribute to the community in some way.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Hey this car is a good start! Loads of knowledgeable folk around here willing to help with questions. Be sure to start a build thread in the build section! We love watching mustangs grow!

Welcome to the forums!

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome! “Idle hands” are the Devil’s workshop or so they say. If that’s the case, you better make this one sinfully nasty Stang!! And, if you ever get grief for spending too much on it, you could certainly use the ol’ “the Devil made me do it” excuse!! (Good luck with that)

Anyway, I like your consideration of (future) colors, but if that genre of colors is and always be on the table, perhaps when you go to redo/replace the convertible top black should be considered??

Just throwing it out there. Certainly none of my business!

OP
OP
I

Idlehands78

Reaction score
Welcome! “Idle hands” are the Devil’s workshop or so they say. If that’s the case, you better make this one sinfully nasty Stang!! And, if you ever get grief for spending too much on it, you could certainly use the ol’ “the Devil made me do it” excuse!! (Good luck with that)

Anyway, I like your consideration of (future) colors, but if that genre of colors is and always be on the table, perhaps when you go to redo/replace the convertible top black should be considered??

Just throwing it out there. Certainly none of my business!
For sure. The top will never be white again. The wife has already said the top 2 priorities for this car are the top and the AC. after that everything is fair game. Which I'm good with.

It’s a sleeper until you twist that key :cool:
You know whats nuts, it has the stock exhaust on it. GO FIGURE. All that work to the engine and suspension, but no consideration for the amazing note coming out the rear!? I'm already looking at some catback systems. At first I thought it may have been a smog issue for CA, but exhaust doesn't effect the sniffer. and if it does I'll keep the stock exhaust and put it back on to retest. I'm currently looking into a 40 series, so we'll see. it was my first thought when it fired up, "dang...that's quiet for what's under the hood."

I do know I have to hunt down some electrical gremlins. After finding out that the 'super cool' Viper alarm is really just draining my battery, my first efforts will be to completely remove that POS, and the useless amplifier and subwoofer. That should clear up some of the electrical gremlins. Part of my upgrades will be a new stereo, I'm just going to rip out the entire mach system and redo it with a small 4 channel and some decent components, maybe a small 8 or 10 inch sub. Alpine makes a nice one that fits behind a double din....maybe, we'll see.

I have years with this car, so I'm not in a rush. But I also don't want an endless project.

Thanks everyone. When I start the process, I'll get my build thread going.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I have a BBK catless xpipe list in the parts section forsale if you are interested. $200

OP
OP
I

Idlehands78

Reaction score
Endless projects are my specialty LOL
I read a few of your 200 page build thread....pretty impressive. If we're honest though, no project is ever really finished, at least in the built not bought category.

I have a BBK catless xpipe list in the parts section forsale if you are interested. $200
I'd love to but being in California in order to pass smog requirements I have to have a CAT. Unless I want to swap out my exhaust every two years. Downside is our highway patrol can also do visual inspections and right a fix it ticket. CA also has a law about the dB level your exhaust can produce. It's not really enforced to much where I live, but in other parts of the state, CHP are known to use dB meters when they are feeling frisky.

OP
OP
I

Idlehands78

Reaction score
I actually did my first mod on the car tonight. I pulled the alarm siren out of the car. Found it in the engine bay, traced the wire far enough back, snipped it and pulled the summmbitch out. Part 1 of the shitty viper alarm removal process.

Does this mean I should start my build thread?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online